A Trip on “The True North”
More about Canada
Watch the video carefully and try to answer some questions.
1. __________ cover(s) nearly ? of Canada? 2. Canada was named by a(n) ____ explorer. 3. “ Canada” came from an Native American word “Kanata” that meant _____. 4. Canada has a population of ______ . 5. French speaking population lives in the_________ part of Canada.
Quiz 1. __________ cover(s) nearly ? of Canada?
A. Forests B. Grassland
Quiz 2. Canada was named by a(n) ____ explorer.
A. British C. Australian B. Spanish D. French
3. “ Canada” came from an Native American word “Kanata” that meant _____. A. valley B. victory C. Vancouver D. village 4. Canada has a population of ______ . A. 34 million B. 340 million C. 3.4 million D. 34 billion
5. French speaking population lives in the_________ part of Canada. A. northern B. eastern C. southern D. western
Skimming to get general ideas
Reading Comprehension I
The main idea of the passage:
Li Daiyu andLiu Qian went on a trip _______ ______ cousins in to Canada to visit their ________ Montreal. They decided to take a train named “The True North”. _____
Scanning to get
Reading Comprehension II Find main stops.
Basic Facts about Canada (3 min)
Distance from east to west coast Population Where most Canadians live Location of largest fresh water supply
slightly over 30 million
within a few hundred kilometers of the USA border the Great Lakes
Careful reading to solve difficult points
Their first city ?
The first city: Vancouver
Why is the population of Vancouver increasing rapidly? Canada’s most _____________ beautiful city.
warmest part Canada’s _________
oldest and some of the _________ most beautiful forests ______________________in the world
Calgary Stampede Famous for the ___________________
What happens Cowboys who have a gift ________ for ______________come riding wild horses to compete.
The third city?
port city A busy ________
The True North rushed toward… Toronto
? Canada is the second largest country in the world. It’s population is over 30 million . Vancouver and Calgary ___________ are two of its main cities. Vancouver is beautiful Canada’s warmest ________ and most _________ city. You can go ________ in the Rocky skiing Mountains and _________ in the harbor. sailing forests can also be Some of the oldest _______ seen there. Calgary is famous for Stampede ___________. You can see cowboys wide horses riding _____ ________.
Justin Bieber and Avril are going to hold a concert in China in May, but they find it hard to choose a city. Can you suggest a city for them? Write an article to introduce the city you suggest.(location (位置), weather, transportation, food, culture… )
I suggest that you hold your concert in Beijing/Shanghai/Hangzhou/Huaibei… I think Hangzhou would be the best choice. Let me tell you something about it. It’s a city in… (weather, transportation, food, culture, scenery, festival… ) In a word, welcome to… We are waiting for you.
1. Finish the exercises on page36.
2. Read the passage by yourself
and underline the difficult sentences and language points.
Well done ^_^