Lesson 1 Ⅰ. Teaching aims:
A material World
1. Talk about the different values of money, and guide the students to build correct views 2. Practice the students’ expressing ability 3. Review and practice the use of attributive clause and adverbial clause, grasp the use of determiners: all, none, both, neither, another, other.
Ⅱ. Teaching key and difficult points:
Teaching key: understand the text and using your own words to retell the text. Difficult point：how to use phrases: turn one’s back on, give away, feel like, etc.
ⅢTeaching methods: .
1. Raising question approach 2. Discussion approach 3. Task-based approach
IV. Knowledge aims: Words: millionaire, appreciate, enjoyable. achieve Phrases: dream up, turn one’s back on, give up, make choice, give away, feel like, drop out Sentences: 1. They spend half their time dreaming up ways of getting rich, and the rest of their time thinking about all the enjoyable things they would do once they got rich. 2. But do all millionaires find the happiness that they thought they would get when they achieve their goals? 3. Today he lives in small dormitory room where there is only second-hand furniture. 4. Charles believes that many people want to earn a lot of money so that they will not have any worries. Grammar: spend +time/money on sth /(in) doing sth; make sure + that(clause); continue to do /doing sth; be pleased to do sth; be tired of /from;
V. Teaching steps: Step 1 Lead-in 1. Ask the Ss to answer the following questions: 1). Would you like to be a millionaire? Why or why not ？ 2). What can money buy? What can't money buy? 3). Money can buy many things. Is money everything? 4). Ask students to guess the meaning, "Money talks" "Money makes the mare go". Do you think so? 5). Someone say "Money is the root of all evil." Right? 6) Do you think money makes you happy? Are there more important things in life? Step 2 Listening comprehensions T: Now listen to the cassette you will know why there are such people that don't want to be a millionaire. Then ask the students to answer the question. Step 3 Fast- reading Tell the students the task of reading before they read the text. 1) Understand the main idea of this passage ,and you can retell it by yourself. 2) Decide if these statements below are true (T), false (F) or there is no information (NI) 1.Charles Gray was a rich businessman. (F) 2.He hasn't got a stove in his dormitory. (NI) 3.He has got a vegetable garden. (T) 4.Charles gave his money away to poor people. (T) 5. People thought he was drunk when he gave away small bank notes in the street. (NI) 6. He was happier when he was rich. (F) Step 4 Careful- reading 1)Read the text aloud ,then answer the questions 1. What was Charles' life like in the past? 2.Why didn't Charles want to be a rich man? 3. How did he deal with his money? 4 How about his life now? 5. How does he feel now? good or bad? 2) Discussion How do you think the choice of Charles? Discuss your opinions with your partners. Step 5 Language points and vocabulary
1) determine 与 determined determine vt./vi. 决定；确定 determine to do sth. 下决心做某事 （表动作） determined adj. 有决心的；坚决的 be determined to do sth.决心做 某事（表状态） 2) concerned adj. 担心的； 烦恼的； 忧虑的 be concerned about sth 忙于/关心（某事）；be concerned with sth. 与某事有关 as far as sb./sth. is concerned 就某人或某事而言 As far as the present situations are concerned , it is really difficult fir you to join the the company. 3)spend money/time on sth/(in) doing sth e.g: I spend five yuan on this book./I spend five yuan buying this book. 4）dream up 空想、虚构 e.g:He dreams the whole thing up. dream of/about sth/doing sth 梦到某事、梦到做某事 e.g：The homeless child often dreamt about(或 of) home. When I was young I dreamed of becoming a scientist 5）make sure "确保，确定"，后面常接 of 短语或 that, what 引导 的宾语从句. e.g: Will you make sure of his coming ?/ Will you make sure that he will come? 6) turn one’s back on 拒绝；不理睬 e.g: Did you really turn your back on his invitation? turn one's back to 转身；背向着 e.g: The teacher turned his back to his students and found a boy making face. 7）pleased 高兴的，满意的 be pleased with sth/to do sth e.g: We are all pleased with the good results. I’m pleased to take you to the airport. 8) be tired of/from 对??感到厌倦/因??感到疲倦 e.g: I’m tired of living abroad. He is tired from walking. 9) give away 分发； 泄漏（秘密）；出卖； 赠送给 e.g: I know you didn't want to give your friend away. Wang ming gave many possessions away when the earthquake happened in Yaan. 10) feel like doing sth 想要做某事 e.g: I was so angry that I felt like throwing something at him.
11) drop out（of）退出；退学 e.g: Teenagers who drop out of high school have trouble finding jobs. Step 6 Grammar First let the Ss look at Page 92 Grammar Summary 1-3.不定代词有 both, either, neither, one, the other, another, little, few, some, any, each, every, no, none 等，重点掌握： 1)both, either, neither 2) one, another, the other 3) little, a little, few, a few 4) some / any, no / none, each / every, many / much Ex1: Complete this interview with Paul McGinty, a millionaire. Choose the correct word from the brackets. Journalist: How (1) ______(much/many) houses have you got? Mr McGinty: Well, I haven't got (2) _____ (much/ many). I've only got (3) _______ (a few/a little) - one in Monaco, one in Paris, and one in New York. Journalist: Are there (4) _____ (some/any) things in the world that you haven't got? Mr McGinty: Actually, there are (5)_____ (no/some) things I haven't got. I need (6) ______ (some/any) furniture for my castle. It's difficult to find. Journalist: How (7) ______(many/much) money have you got exactly? Mr McGinty: Well, that's a difficult question. I'm a busy man I've got (8)____ (no/some)time to count it. EX2:Put all, both, none or neither in the gaps.(Ex.6) I'm not very careful with money. I spend (1) ___ of it very fast and save (2) _____of it. (3) ______ my parents get angry with me, especially my dad. And now (4) ______ of my parents give me money. But I'm a very happy person. anothe(5) ____ my friends like me and (6) ____ of them say I'm greedy. (1) all(2) none(3) Both(4) neither(5) All(6) none Ex3: Fill in the blanks with another, the other, other or the second. 1. Some people are greedy, ______ people are generous. (other) 2. My friend Susan never saves money, but _______ friend of mine, Mark, never spends a penny. (another)
3. There are two things I never buy. One is popcorn, ________ is cigarettes. (the other) 4. These chocolates are delicious. I think I'll buy ______ box. (another) 5. I've made only three New year's resolutions: the first is to learn more,__________ is to take up a sport and the third is to go to the theatre. (the second) 6. He's very rude and he never thinks about _____ people. ( other ) 7. The restaurant was full so we had to look for _______ one. (another) 8. The tennis final wasn't exciting - Agassi was great, but I can't even remember the name of _________ player. ( the other) Step7 Summary 1) Go through the important points and difficult points of this lesson with the students once again. 2) Come to the passage: ① To know about the history of Charles, and retell by English . ② Master the grammar, apply it with different examples fa miliarly. Step 8 Homework 1) Finish the part“Language in use”on page 9. 2) Find other examples like Charles, choose one from them, then summarize his or her story in a composition with about 100 words.