2013-12-16 cultural relics 1
I. Warming up
1. What is a cultural relic? 2. Does a cultural relic always have to be rare and valuable? Is it enough to have survived for a long time?
? 3.Are cultural relics only objects like vases or can they be buildings too?
? Look at the pictures below and discuss what they are and whether they are cultural relies or not.
Do you know these?
Ming Dynasty vase
? ? China china
This vase is a kind of china which was made in China.
2013-12-16 cultural relics 5
? ? ? ?
2013-12-16 cultural relics
tomb India 1631~1653 romance
ivory dragon boat
The Dragon Boat Festival
2013-12-16 cultural relics 7
（ 千莫 佛高 洞窟 ）
What is amber?
?color ?feel like
yellow- brown feel as hard as stone
resin(树脂) from trees. ? It takes millions of years to form.
Amber is the fossil(化石)form of
Unit 1 Reading
In search of the amber room
? Do you know what they are made of ?
What colour does amber have?
Yellow and brown.
What do you think amber can be made into?
necklace, ring, glass, vase, perfume bottle , earring, frame , sculpture, barrette发夹, bracelet手链, lampshade, etc
The amber room was ? The amber room was first built in 1709 first built in 1709.
How much does it cost?
It is said that the amber room is 100-250 million (1亿-2.5亿) worth____________________ dollars.
Suppose the Amber Room got lost. How would you feel?
What will you do?
Can you imagine a house made of amber ?
In Search of
the Amber Room
? Listen carefully and find out characters ,years , and places in the passage.
Peter the Great Czar
What did these people do to the Amber Room?
give as a gift
Peter the Great Czar
What did Peter the Great do after he received the gift?
Peter the Great
Peter the Great Czar
Frederick WilliamⅠ gave the Amber Room to Peter the Great as a gift.
Catherine Ⅱhad completed the adding to the Amber room
1770 1941 2003
The Nazi German army stole the Amber Room
The rebuilding of the Amber Room was completed.
winter palace in St Petersburg
summer palace outside St Petersburg
Konigsgerg on the Baltic sea
(Answer the following questions)
1. What was the Amber Room made of ?
2. The amber feels as hard as stone, how can it be made into a room?
1. What was the Amber Room made of ?
7,000 tons of amber were used to make it. It was also made with gold and jewels.
Names of places What is it used for?
St. Petersburg (Winter Palace)
As the palace of FrederickⅠ
As a small reception hall for
important visitors. Catherine Ⅱ spent her summers there.
For the people of St. Petersburg to Summer Palace celebrate the 300th birthday of the city. 2003
Find detailed information about the Amber Room Colour
Birthplace Design Material yellow-brown Prussia of the fancy style popular in those days seven thousand tons of amber; gold and jewels It took a team of the country’s best artists ten years to make it.
Time to complete it
Do true or false exercises according to the text. F 1.Frederick William I was the King of Russia. Prussia
2.The Amber Room has a strange history and it remains a mystery. T
3.The Amber Room was made up of seven hundred tons of amber. F thousand 4.The amber is as hard as stone and hard to easy be made into shapes. F
5. Peter the Great made Amber Room his Summer Palace. F winter 6.Catherine II added more details to the Amber Room and made it her Summer Palace. T
2. The king of Prussia gave the Amber
Room to Russia because_____. D
A. he wanted to marry Catherine II.
B. he was kind.
C. he needed better soldiers
D. he wanted to make friends
3. The Amber Room was stolen by___. B A. Russian soldiers B. German soldiers C. People in Konigsberg D. People in St Petersburg 4. In 1941, the city of Konigsberg was in ___. A A. Germany B. Russia C. Sweden D. France
5. The Russians didn’t hide the Amber
Room because ______. C
A. they were at war B. the couldn’t find a place C. the German soldiers arrived too soon D. no train could take it away
Read the text again and discuss the main idea of each paragraph.
Creation ? Paragraph 1: ____________of the Amber Room. ? Paragraph 2-3: __________ of the Amber Room. History ? Paragraph 4: ____________ of the Amber Room.
Disappearance ? Paragraph 5: _______________of the Amber Room. Rebuilding
The King of ________, Frederick I, had the Prussia _____________ built in 1709, and in 1716, the Amber Room next king, Frederick William I gave it to the Russian Czar, Peter the Great ,as a _______ in St Petersburg. In _______, Peter the Great sent return him _______________ best soldiers. After Peter a troop of the Great, Catherine II ________ the Amber moved Room outside St Petersburg and told her
artists to ____________________. In 1770, the room add more details ________________ in the way she wanted. was completed In 1941, ________ stole the Amber Room and the Nazis
took pieces of the room to _______________. K? nigsberg
After that, the Amber Room got ________.
Recently, the Russians and Germans have
rebuilt the Amber Room by _____________ ________ studying old
photos _______ of the former one.
Find words and phrases on P1-2
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6. 7. 8. 9. 10. 11.
cultural relics 文化遗产 调查 look into 属于 belong to 迷路，丢失 get lost 寻找 in search of 这样一段离奇的历史 such a strange history 有奇特的风格 be the fancy style 像石头一样硬 as hard as stone 被制成 be made into 琥珀艺术品. the work of amber art 为…而做 be made for
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
12. 13. 14. 15. 16. 17. 18. 19. 20. 21.
four meters long 四米长 作为回报 in return 成为…的一部分 be made for 充当，用作 be made for 添加…到… add … to 世界上的伟大奇迹 the great wonders of the world 处于交战状态 be at war 少于 less than 毫无疑问 no doubt celebrate the 庆祝第…个生日/纪念日 birthday of…
1. Frederick William I, the King of Prussia, could never have imagined that his greatest gift to the Russian people would have such an amazing history. (P1, L1) 普鲁士国王腓特烈· 威廉一世从来也不会想到他 赠送给俄国人民的礼物会有如此离奇的历史。 could not/never have done 对过去所发生事情 的否定推测
------, could never have imagined that his ----情态动词（could/might/must/should）+have done 表 示对过去发生的事情的推测、批评、反悔。 e.g. could have done 可能做过；本来可以做（却未做） might have done 或许做过；本来或许会做 may have done 或许做过 would have done 本来要做（却未做） must have done 肯定已做过（表推测） needn’t have done 本来没必要做（却已做） should(n’t) have done 本来（不）应该做（却做了） ought(n’t) to have done
2. The design for the room was in the fancy style popular in those days. (P1, L5) 琥珀屋的设计采用了当时流行的别致 的建筑式样。 fancy (1) adj. 奇特的，花样的 I don’t feel like making a fancy meal.
(2) vt. 想象,推测,假想 1) Don’t fancy that you can succeed without hard work. 2) I can’t fancy his doing such a thing. 3) I fancied him to be dead. 4) He fancies himself as a good writer. 5) Do you fancy a glass of coffee? 6) I don’t fancy walking in the rain. 总结：fancy + that-/one’s doing sth./sb. to be…/sb. as/sth./doing sth.
*design n. make designs / a design 设计 in design 在设计上 by design 故意地 The building was burnt down by design. vt. be designed to do sth 目的是……； be designed for sth./sb. 打算给……用; 为……而设计的 The experiment is designed to test the new drug. The book is designed for children.
?in the fancy style以奇特的风格 ?in … style ?in the style of …以……的风格 ?He bought a painting in the style of Picasso. ?他买了一幅毕加索风格的画. ※ popular in those days 是形容词短语作后置 定语,修饰the fancy style .相当于定语从句, = which was popular in those days .
be popular with sb.在…中流行 This film is popular with the young people. The service offers young people advice practical on finding a job.
3. It was also a treasure decorated with gold and jewels, which took the country’s best artists about ten years to make.它也是用金银珠宝装饰起来的珍品。一批国家最优 秀的艺术家用了大约十年的时间才把它完成。 decorated with gold and jewels是过去分词短语做后置定 语，修饰treasure表示被动和完成。
eg. Oh, look! Here’s a photo ___ in my classroom at primary school. Can you recognize me in it? (take)
take sb. +时间＋to do sth. 花费某人时间做某事 The great project took the team almost two years to finish.
4. in return 作为回报, 作为回馈
He bought me a present for my birthday. I gave him a dictionary in return.
※ in return for 作为……的回报; 以报答……
I bought him a drink in return for his help.
What should I do in return for his kindness?
in turn 依次，逐个地 The girls called out their names in turn. 那些女孩逐一报出自己的名字。
4. About four metres long, the room served as a small reception hall for important visitors.
(Para2, L6) 琥珀屋约四米长，做了接待贵宾的小接待厅。 serve as 担任，充当 He served two terms as President. He served as a waiter there. When you sleep in the open, old newspapers can serve as a blanket.
5. serve as 当，担任， 充当 He served as a waiter in the restaurant. When you sleep in the open air, old newspapers can serve as a blanket.
6. reception 接待，接待会
a reception room/ hall
reception desk（旅馆等的）接待处；柜台 give a warm reception to sb. 热情地接待…… get a friendly reception from sb. 受到……的友好接待
hold a reception 举行招待会
be at a reception在招待会上
5. In 1770 the room was completed the way(that) she wa (方式状语)
e.g. I was never allowed to do things the way I wanted. He was looking at her in a way that surprised her.
We have to make it work in the way that they want it
8. Almost six hundred candles lit the room.
light vi.＆ vt. 照亮，点亮
a lighted candle
× a lit candle ( ) He ______ a candle and the candle ______ the room. lit/lighted ; lit/ lighted
17. consider (P5)
consider（认为，以为） sb.(sth.) + adj. / n. sb.(sth.) + to be
sb.(sth.) + as… / that-clause
+ n. / doing sth.
+ 疑问词 +to do sth. consider…as…. === think of….as… look on(upon)….as…. take …as….
regard….as….把…当作 Ex. Abraham Lincoln is generally considered _________ the greatest president of America.
A. to be B. as C. / D. All of the above.
9. wonder(1) n. [C]奇迹, 奇人/事/物, 奇观; [U] 惊
奇 The Great Wall is one of the wonders of the world. 长城是世界奇观之一。
They were filled with wonder when they saw the spaceship. 当他们看到宇宙飞船时，他们非常惊奇。
do / work wonders 创造奇迹, 取得惊人成就 It is a wonder (that) ...奇怪的是…… It is a wonder that he seems to know nothing about it. It is no wonder (that)… No wonder (that)…难怪…；…并不奇怪 ----He has been eating sweets all day.
----No wonder he is not hungry.
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
(2)vt 不知道, 想知道 I wonder how he did it. 不知道他是怎么做那件事的。 vi 觉得奇怪；感到惊奇 wonder at 对…感到惊奇;惊叹…… I wonder at his rudeness. 我对他的粗鲁感到奇怪。 wonder about…对…感到疑惑, 很想知道… I was wondering about Mr. Green. wonder + wh- + to do sth I wonder what to do and where to go.
15. furniture 家具中各种可移动的家 具的总称 [ u ]
不论受什么修饰，前面不能加不定冠 词 a ，也不能用复数 一件家具 a piece of furniture 许多家具 pieces of furniture / much furniture
16. There is no doubt that the boxes were then put on a train…. that the boxes were then put on a train….是 no doubt 的同位语从句，此类 从句通常用that 来引导
eg. There is no doubt that we can finish our task ahead of time.
They had to face the fact that the nearest filling station is thirty kilometers away.
? ※ There is no doubt 后接名词时，需用 介词 about / of , ? eg. There is no doubt about / of his honesty. ? doubt 也可作及物动词，“怀疑，不信”, 在 肯定句中常接whether / if 从句，在否定句中 常接 that 从句 ? eg. I doubt whether we can get the first place in the competition. ? I don’t doubt that he will tell us the truth.
e.g. They had to face the fact that the nearest filling station is thirty kilometers away. The doctors came to the conclusion that the patient was suffering from cancer. 注：同位语从句通常用that来引导，随着与其 同位的名词不同，也可由When, where, whether, how等来引出。 e.g. I have no idea when he will return. There is no doubt… = It’s clear… = It’s beyond argument…
6.There is no doubt that the boxes were then put on
a train for konigsberg,
which was at that time a German city on the Baltic Sea. (同位语从句)
7. After that, what happened to the Amber Room
remains a mystery.
? remains 保持不变，剩余，（后接不定式）留待， 尚待 ? He remained silent over the meal. ? The outcome remains to be seen. ? She remains a teacher, while her husband has got his Dr. degree. ? remain是不及物动词，后面不能跟宾语，但是可 接名词、动词不定式、分词做表语。
remain + to + be +p.p (3) Having a trip abroad is certainly good for the old couple, but it remains____ whether they will enjoy it. A. to see B. to be seen C. seeing D. seen