Lesson 48 Did you want to tell me something? 你想对我说什么吗？
New words and expressions 生词和短语
pull v. 拔 cotton wool 药棉 collect v. 搜集 collection n. 收藏品，收集品 nod v. 点头 meanwhile adv. 同时
? ① vt.&vi. 拉，拖，牵，扯（反义词push vt. 推）
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? I felt someone pulling my arm. You are pulling my leg. pull one's leg 开某人玩笑 你在开我玩笑 不要再开我玩笑 Don't pull my leg any more. You are kidding. You are joking 你在开玩笑
★② vt.&vi. 拔，抽 ? 他把一个地址本从他口袋里掏出来了。 ? He pulled an address book from his pocket. ? ★collect v. 搜集 领工资 ? collect salary ? collect stamps 集邮 筹集资金 ? collect money ? collect children 收养孩子
nod v. 点头 ? ① vt.&vi. 点头，点头示意/招呼 ? 我问他是否想来，他点了点他头。 ? I asked him if he wanted to come and he nodded his head. ? 当我们在办公室见面的时候，他总是向我点 头 ? When we meet each other in the office, he always nods at me. ? ② vi. 打盹，打瞌睡（常与off连用） ? 他过去在法语课上常打瞌睡 ? He used to nod off during the French class
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
★shake（shook，shaken） ① vt.&vi. 摇，摇动，抖动 Thompson先生摇了摇他的头。 Mr. Thompson shook his head. 他的手一直在发抖。 His hands are shaking. ② vt. 同……握手 丹和他握了握手 Dan shook hands with him. =Dan shook him by the hand. =Dan shook his hand.
? 因为他很累，所以他一边看书一边打盹。 ? As he was very tired, he nodded off over his reading. ? meanwhile adv. 同时 ? meanwhile = at the same time = in the same time ? 用法和 however 一样,不能连接两个句子,但 是意思上有承接概念 ? 夏娃在剪草，亚当种玫瑰。. ? Eve was cutting the grass, and meanwhile Adam was planting roses.
1 When do dentists always ask questions? When it's impossible for us to answer. 2 Have you just had a tooth out? Yes, I have. 3 Who pulled it out for you? My dentist did. 4 What did he tell you to do afterwards? To rest for a while.
5 Did you try to say something? Yes, I did. 6 You couldn't, could you? No, I couldn't. 7 Why couldn't you? My mouth was full of cotton wool. 8 What was your tongue busy doing? Searching out the hole where the tooth had been. 9 How did you feel suddenly? Very worried.
1. Dentists always ask questions when it is impossible for you to answer. 牙科医生们总是在你无法作出回答的时候向你 提出问题。
这里it是形式主语，真正的主语是to answer。 ? impossible通常不以人作主语，而以不定式或从 句作主语 ? It is +adj+for/of sb+to do sth ? It is+adj+that +句子
? 如果形容词能够修饰后面的人的性格特征 就用of。 ? 对他来说帮助你是不可能的 ? It is impossible for him to help you. =It is impossible that he will help you.
2. My dentist had just pulled out one of my teeth and had told me to rest for a while. 我的牙科医生刚刚给我拔掉了一颗牙，叫我休息一会儿。 pull做动词是表示“拖、拉、拔”的意思。与之相反的动 作就是push了，表示“推”。我们经常在门把手上看到 这两个词，如果写着pull，就表示你拉门就开了。如果写 着push，就表示推门门就开了。 课文这里pull out表示“拔出”的意思。 补充：pull one's leg是表示“开玩笑”。 引体向上就是“pull up”。 for a while, 一会儿，片刻。
? My dentist had just pulled out one of my teeth and had told me to rest for a while. ? 我的牙科医生刚刚给我拔掉了一颗牙，叫我休息一会儿。我 的牙科医生刚刚给我拔掉了一颗牙，叫我休息一会儿。
? n. 剩余的部分，休息，支撑物，休止符 the rest of is ? The rest of rice_________(be) bad. ? while
? ? ? ? ? ? conj. 当 ... 的时候，虽然，尽管，然而 1While I was watching TV，the bell rang （我看电视时，铃响了。） While it was late， he went on working. （虽然很晚了，但他还在继续工作。） He went out for a walk， while I stayed at home.
3. I tried to say something, but my mouth was full of cotton wool. 我想说点什么，但我嘴里塞满了药棉。 cotton wool本意是指“原棉”的意思，也就是棉花最初 的状态。在英国英语中，多用来指代“药棉”。 ? Try to do尽力做某事 未必会成功 ? Manage to do 尽力做某事 一定会成功 ? be fullof=be fillded with ? But my mouth was filled with cotton wool. ? 他的钱包里装满了钱 ? The wallet is full of money The wallet is filled with money
4. He knew I collected match boxes and asked me whether my collection was growing. 他知道我收集火柴盒，于是问我收藏的火柴盒是否在增加。 Match做名词就是“火柴”。
此外做名词更有“比赛、竞赛”的含义。 Match做动词一个很重要的含义就是“相配、相称”的意 思。 These shoes do not match；one is large and the other is small. 这双鞋不相配，一只大，一只小。 The coat matches the dress. 外衣和裙子很相配。 难怪“媒人”我们就称之为“match-maker”了。就是 “制造成双成对的人”了。
He knew I collected match boxes and asked me whether my collection was growing. He then asked me how my brother was and whether I liked my new job in London
和or not连用/ 后面+to do /介词之后/ discuss之后 I am interested in___________he will accept my invitation
I don’t know ______to cry or to laugh.
They are discussing ______they should carry out the plan Tom is wandering ________he should choose this job or not.
5. He then asked me how my brother was and whether I liked my new job in London. 接着他又问我的兄弟近来如何，问我是否喜欢伦 敦的新工作。 在这句话中，以how和whether引导的从句都是作 动词asked的宾语。
6. In answer to these questions I either nodded or made strange noises. 作为对这些问题的回答，我不是点头，就是发出 奇怪的声音。 in answer to是固定短语，这里表示“作为对...的 回答”。这个短语的另一个含义是“响应...的请 求”： In answer to my request, he wrote a letter to George. 应我的请求，他给乔治写了封信。 nod就是表示“点头”，上次我们也讲过“摇头” 就是shake了。我们还给大家介绍过“与某人有点 头之交”就是“have a nodding acquaintance with sb.”。
? in return for 作为对……的报答 ? 这个小姑娘给了我一个热情的拥抱以答谢 我的帮助。 ? The little girl gave me a big hug in return for my help.
?In answer to these questions I either nodded or made strange noises.
Neither…nor Not only…but also… Both…and…
或者……或者 既不…..也不 不但….而且 两者都…….
I would like to have either bread or cake for breakfast
I would like to have neither bread nor cake for breakfast.
D ? 1. We can_____ see ____touch the air . ? A .not only ,but also B .both, and C . either ,or D . neither ,nor D ? 2. You can____ stay at home _____ go to my hometown with me . ? A. not ,only B. either and C .both or D. either or C ? 3. _________ John _______I are policemen. ? A. Neither ... nor B. Either ... or C. Both ... and D. Not only... but also ? 4. I’m looking for a babysitter （保姆） . She must A be __ too old ______ too young . ? A. neither ; nor B. both ; and C. either ; or D. not only ; but also
7. Meanwhile, my tongue was busy searching out the hole where the tooth had been. 与此同时，我的舌头正在忙着寻找刚拔掉的那颗牙的伤口。 副词Meanwhile表示“在此期间、与此同时”的意思.比 如： Mary was talking to me about her new dress. Meanwhile I was thinking about something else. 玛丽在和我讲她的新衣服。与此同时我却在想着其他事情。 search out, 搜寻。 the hole where the tooth had been, 刚拔掉的那颗牙的 伤口。用的是过去完成时，因为在描述这件事的时候那颗 牙已经不在了。牙齿尚在的时间是“过去的过去”。
Be busy doing
/be busy with sth
? 我的朋友们正忙于准备我的生日宴会。 ? My friends are busy preparing my birthday party ? My friends are busy with my birthday party. ? search out 找出，搜寻 ? 你已经搜出我需要的书吗 ? Have you searched out the books I needed? ? The police are searching the thief ? The police are searching for the thief
Meanwhile, my tongue was busy searching out the hole where the tooth had been. where = 介词 + which 这是我住的房子 ? That is the house which/that I lived in ? That is the house in which I lived 。 ? That is the house where I lived.
关系词在定语从句中的语法成分 1.The way _________________he explained that/in which/不填 the sentence to us was not difficult to understand. 2.The way _________________he explained that/ which/不填 to us was quite simple.
3. We will never forget the days when/ on which ___________ we studied together. 4. We will never forget the days that/ which/不填 __________________ we spent together.
1. This is the reason ____ we made Mr Li headmaster of our school. A. where B. when C. before D. why
2. That was the reason______ Mac gave me the other day. A. why B. for that C. which D. for which
1. It was five o’clock in the afternoon ___________ they arrived at the hotel. A. since B. before C. when D. that 2. --Where did you last see Mr. Smith? --It was in the hotel____ I lived. A. that B. which C. where D. when
3. The house _____ we once lived in is being repaired by the workers. A. which B. where C. who D. whom 4. The house _____ we once lived is being repaired by the workers. A. which B. where C. who D. whom
8. I suddenly felt very worried, but could not say anything. 我突然非常着急起来，但却什么也说不出来。 ? At last=finally=in the end ? Remove Move remove可以表示“拿去，除去，去掉”，通 常结构为“remove +名词 +from”，也可 以单独使用 ? 我已经帮照片从墙上摘下来了。 ? I’ve removed that picture from the wall.
9. When the dentist at last removed the cotton wool from my mouth, I was able to tell him that he had pulled out the wrong tooth. 当那位牙医最后将药棉从我嘴中取出时，我总算 有可能告诉他，他拔错了牙。
Dentists always ask questions when it is impossible for you to answer. My dentist had just pulled out one of my teeth and had told me to rest for a while. I tried to say something, but my mouth was full of cotton wool. He knew I collected match boxes and asked me whether my collection was growing. He then asked me how my brother was and whether I liked my new job in London. In answer to these questions I either nodded or made strange noises. Meanwhile, my tongue was busy searching out the hole where the tooth had been. I suddenly felt very worried, but could not say anything. When the dentist at last removed the cotton wool from my mouth, I was able to tell him that he had pulled out the wrong tooth.
参考译文 牙科医生们总是在你无法作出回答的时候向你提出问题。 我的牙科医生刚刚给我拔掉了一颗牙，叫我休息一会儿。 我想说点什么，但我嘴里塞满了药棉。他知道我收集火柴 盒，于是问我收藏的米柴盒是否在增加。接着他又问我的 兄弟近来如何，问我是否喜欢伦敦的新工作。作为对这些 问题的回答，我不是点头，就是发出奇怪的声音。与此同 时，我的舌头正在忙着寻找刚拔掉的那颗牙的伤口。我突 然非常着急起来，但却什么也说不出来。当那位牙医最后 将药棉从我嘴中取出时，我总算有可能告诉他，他拔错了 牙。
本课必须掌握的短语： pull out 拔出 rest for a while 休息一会儿 be full of 充满 in answer to 为了回答 make noise 发出声音；弄出声音 search out 寻找；找出 remove…from 从…取出
Tell the story 1 Dentists - ask - impossible - to answer 2 My dentist - pulled out - told me - rest 3 tried to say - mouth full - cotton wool 4 asked - collection of - eggs - growing 5 then - my brother - new job - London 6 In answer - nodded - strange noises 7 tongue - searching - tooth had been 8 suddenly - worried - couldn't say 9 When - dentist at last - from my mouth - able to tell – wrong tooth
Key to Summary writing 1 .The dentist in the story had pulled out one of the writer's teeth and (had) told him to rest for a while. 2 .He asked several questions but the writer could not answer them. 3 .His mouth was full of cotton wool. 4 .He suddenly discovered something wrong but he could not say anything. 5 .The dentist eventually removed the cotton wool from his mouth and the writer told him that he had pulled out the wrong tooth.
Key to Composition
1 The dentist smiled and showed me the tooth. 2 He had pulled out the right one but I had not realized it. 3 I had not only made a mistake but (had) criticized his workas well.
Key to SD Exercises A 1 which 7 past 2 denied 8 next 3 fetched 9 watching 4 too 8 next 10continually 5 jobs 11 remarked 6 One ?a ? who 12 robbed
B sample sentences)
I'm sorry to cause you such trouble. Have you ever seen such beautiful pictures before? It's such a nice day that we can't stay indoors! I 'm feeling so tired that I shall have to stop work.
C 1 He had no sooner come home than they rang him up from the office. 2 The plane had no sooner take off than it returned to the airport.
D 1 made 2 do 3 make 4 do 5 Do 6 make 7 made 8 does
E 1 out 2 up 3 up 4 up? away 5 up 6 out 7 back 8 up 9 up with
F (sample sentences)
1 .If you don't stop that noise at once, you'll have to go to bed. 2 .I'm at a loss to know what to do. 3 .It's stopped raining at last! 4 .He's very busy and can't accept any more work at present. 5 .I'll be at home tonight.
Key to Multiple choice questions
1c 2b 3c 4b 5a 6c
7b 8b 9d 10 a 11 b 12 c