First aid for burns
What things at home can be dangerous?
electrical equipment electric wires poisons pets knives hot water glass gas
What kind of first aid would you perform in this situation? Make a list of your ideas.
Cool the area of skin; Wash it under the cold running water. Cover the wound with bandage/ clean cloth. See a doctor if necessary.
skin organ barrier poison ray complex variety liquid n. 皮; 皮肤 n. 器官 n. 屏障; 障碍物 n. 毒药; 毒害 vt.毒害; 使中毒 n. 光线; 射线 adj. 复杂的 n. 变化; 多样化 n. 液体
radiation mild mildly pan stove tissue swell
n. 辐射; 射线 adj. 轻微的; 温和的 adv. 轻微地; 温和地 n. 平底锅; 盘子 n. 炉子; 火炉 n. 组织; 手巾纸 vt. & vi. 膨胀; 隆起
scissors unbearable basin
n. 剪刀 adj. 难以忍受的 n. 盆; 盆地
adj. 至关重要的； 生死攸关的
electric shock 触电; 电休克 squeeze … out 榨出; 挤出 over and over again 反复; 多次
Skim for general idea and then number them from 1 to 5. __ the three types of burns 3 __ what to do if someone gets burned 5 __ the functions of the skin 1 __ the symptoms of burns 4 __ how we get burns 2
I. Read the passage carefully and get the answers to the questions. 1. What can skin do for our body? 1. Act as a barrier against disease, ______________________________ poisons and the sun’s harmful rays. ______________________________
_______________________ 2. Keep you warm or cool. ____________________________ 3. Prevent you from losing water. _________________________ 4. Give you sense of touch.
2. You can get burnt by: ___________ hot liquids ___________ steam __________ fire __________ radiation _______________________ the sun _______________________ electricity or chemicals
3. How many types of burns are there? What are they? 1) First degree burns. 2) Second degree burns 3) Third degree burns
II. Label these pictures with first, second and third degree burn.
The three layers of skin: The top layer The second layer The third layer
III. Detail-reading: Filling in the blanks.
First degree burns
Affect the top layer _____ of the skin.
Dry, Mildly Turn _____ red and painful white mildly when pressed ______ ______. swollen
Characteristics _____ blisters
Second affect _____, rough extremel degree both the red and y burns top and swollen painful _______ the second _______ layer of the skin. Third affect swollen; _______ little or degree all three tissue ____ _____ no burns layers of can be pain the skin. seen.
black and _______ white ______ and charred
IV. Decide whether the first aid treatment is Right (R) or Wrong (W). 1. When someone is burned, you should place some ice on his wound. W 2. The function of cool water is to prevent and reduce swelling. R 3. We should put damp cloths on the second degree burns. R 4. We shouldn’t break the blisters, or they will make the wound infected. R
5. Sometimes, we can put oil or ointments on burns to stop the infection. W 6. We should make sure the bandage won’t stick to the skin when it is used. R 7. If burns are on the face, we should make the victim sit up. R 8. Cold water can be used in three types of burns. W
Answer the questions in your own words according to the passage.
1. Why should you put cold water on a burn? Because the cold water stops the burning process, stops the pain and prevents or reduces swelling（肿）. 2. Why doesn’t a third degree burn hurt? Because in a third degree burn the nerves have been damaged. If there are no nerves, there is no pain.
3. Why do you think clothes and jewellery near burns should be removed? Because bacteria from the clothes and 4. jewellery could infect the burns. burn, If someone has a third degree why might you see tissue?
Because all layers of the skin have been burnt showing the tissue underneath.
Read the first aid treatments for these burns. If the treatment is right, write R. If it is wrong, write W and explain why. 1. Sam knocked over a kettle full of boiling water onto his legs. His legs became red, swollen and covered with blisters. Sam broke the blisters and poured icy water from the fridge onto the skin. ( )
2. While ironing clothes, Miss Good accidentally touched the iron. Her wrist blistered and became watery. It hurt a lot. She put her wrist under the cold water tap and then kept placing cool, clean, damp cloths on it until it was less painful. Then she went to see the R doctor. ( )
3. Mrs Casey’s sleeve caught fire while she was cooking. Her arm looked terrible but it didn’t hurt. The skin was charred. Her husband took off her blouse and picked off bits of the blouse stuck to the burn. He then placed butter on the burn and covered it with a wet bandage. ( ) W
4. After an hour in the sun, Lily noticed her arms were red and hurt a bit. She went home and put them under cool running water. R ( )
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? sense of touch sense of sight sense of hearing sense of taste sense of smell sense of humour sense of beauty sense of urgency
触觉 视觉 听觉 味觉 嗅觉 幽默感
Life is precious
We should care about others,
and help people in an emergency.
Try our best to give them effective first aid if they are in danger.
1. Get more about first aid from the
newspaper, magazine or the Internet.
2. Find out the important and difficult words and expressions to you and finish exercises on page 36.