◆精编陷阱题训练◆ 1. So far, several ships have been reported missing _______ the coast of Bermuda Island. A. off B. along C. on D. around 2. “How long have you stayed in this hotel?” “Not long, just ______ this Monday.” A. on B. since C. until D. after 3. The lift in that tall building went wrong and got trapped _____ floors. People in it had no way to get out. A. in C. among B. between D. on
4. “What a terrible rain we are having!” “Yes. We are asked to pay more attention to the information about the rain ______ flood.”
A. as well as B. so long as C. because of D. in case of 5. _____ their inexperience, they’ve done a good job. A. Given B. Supposed C. Considered D. Concluded 6. They promise that the work would all be finished _____ next week. A. until B. in C. by D. to 7. _______ reading the letter, what has he done? A. Because of B. Except C. Besides D. But for 8. “How did the robber get in?” “______ an open window on the first floor.” A. Past B. From C. Over D. Through
9. She knew nothing about his journey _______ he was likely to be away for three months. A. Except B. except for C. except that D. in addition 9. 选 C。在四个选项中，只有 except that 后可接句子。 10. He usually goes to work by bike _______ it rains. A .except B. except when C. except for D. except that 11. I found the island a wonderful place for our experiments _______ the hot weather. A. besides B. except for C. except D. except that 12. ______ the weather, we had a pleasant time. A. Except B. Except for C. But D. Besides
13. He always did well at school ______ having to do part-time jobs every now and then. A. in spite of B. instead of C. in case of D. in favor of 14. As it was almost time for the flight, all the passengers got ______ the plane. A. around B. abroad C. aboard D. ahead 【答案与解析】 1. 选 A。off 用作介词时可表示距离，此时尤其用于指距离某一 大路或靠近某海面。又如： Our house is about 20 meters off the main road. 我们家离大路大约 有 20 米远。 The ship anchored a mile off the coast. 轮船抛锚停泊在离海岸 1 英 里的地方。 2. 选 B。此答句为省略句，补充完整为：I’ve stayed in this hotel since this Monday.
3. 选 B。between floors 指在两层楼之间。类例地，以下各例也 选 between： Don’t eat anything ______ meals if you want to lose weight. 4. 选 D。 复合介词 in case of 有两个意思， 一是表示条件， 意为“如 果”;二是表示目的，意为“以防”。如： In case of fire, call 119. 万一失火，就打 119 电话。 Take an umbrella with you in case of rain. 带把雨伞，以防下雨。 5. 选 A， given 在此用作介词， 意为“考虑到”。 又如： Given the low price, I decided to buy it. 考虑到价格很低，我决定把它买下。 6. 选 C， 意为“最迟到……之前， by 到……的时候已经”。 类例地， 下面一题也选 by： The train leaves at 6:00 p.m. So I have to be at the station _______5:40 p.m. at the latest. A. until B. after C. around D. by 7. 选 C。besides 意为“除……之外，还”。又如： He has another car besides this. 除了这辆车外，他还有一辆。
Besides being a teacher, he was a poet. 除了是位教师外，他还是位 诗人。 Did he do anything besides hitting you? 除了打你之外， 他还有没有 别的什么举动? 8. 选 D。through 意为“穿过，贯穿，经过，透过”。又如： The train ran through the tunnel. 火车穿过隧道。 I saw you through the window. 我是透过窗子看到你的。 9. 选 C。在四个选项中，只有 except that 后可接句子。 10. 选 B。except when 和 except that 后均可接句子，但前者含 “当……的时候”的意思，而后者则没有这个意思。 11. 选 B。except 与 except for 的区别是：前者主要用来谈论同类 的东西;后者主要用来谈论不同类的东西，在说明情况后作细节上的 修正，有时含有惋惜之意。 12. 选 B，except 和 except for 均可表示排除，但若是表示谈论 不同类的对象，通常用 except for。另外，except 通常不用于句首。 13. 选 A。比较：in spite of=虽然，尽管…仍;instead of=代替，取 而代之;in case of=假设，万一;in favour of=赞同，有利于。
14. 选 C。 aboard 用作介词时意思“在(船、 飞机、 车)上”、 “上(船、 飞机、车)”。
◆精编陷阱题训练◆ 1. “I still haven’t thanked Aunt Lucy for her present.” “It’s time you _____.” A. do B. did C. had D. would 2. If I hadn’t been lucky enough to meet you. I really _____ what I would have done. A. don’t know B. hadn’t known C. wasn’t knowing D. wouldn’t know 3. “I’ve told everyone about it.” “Oh, I’d rather you _____.” A. don’t B. hadn’t
C. couldn’t D. wouldn’t 4. It has been raining for a day, but even though it hadn’t rained, we _____ there by tomorrow. A. can’t get B. won’t get C. hadn’t got D. wouldn’t get 5. “Do you know his address?” “No, I also wish I _____ where he _____.” A. knew, live B. knew, lives C. know, lives D. know, lived 6. “Isn’t it about time you _____ to do morning exercises?” “Yes, it is. Would you like to join us?” A. begin B. have begun C. began D. had begun 7. It is hard for me to imagine what I would be doing today if I ____ in love, at the age of seven, with the Melinda Cox Library in my hometown. A. wouldn’t have fallen B. had not fallen
C. should fall D. were to fall 8. He hesitated for a moment before kicking the ball, otherwise he ____ a goal. A. had scored B. scored C. would score D. would have scored 9. If only he _______ quietly as the doctor instructed, he would not suffer so much now. A. lies B. lay C. had lain D. should lie 10. Without the air to hold some of the sun’s heat, the earth at night ____ for us to live. A. would be freezing cold B. will be freezing coldly C. would be frozen cold D. can freeze coldly 11. Yesterday, Jane walked away from the discussion. Otherwise, she ____ something she would regret later. A. had said B. said C. might say D. might have said
12. You didn’t let me drive. If we ____ in turn, you ____ so tired. A. drove; didn’t get B. drove; wouldn’t get C. were driving; wouldn’t get D. had driven; wouldn’t have got 13. When a pencil is partly in a glass of water, it looks as if it ______. A. breaks B. has broken C. were broken D. had been broken 14. But for the help you gave me, I _______ the examinations. A. would have passed B. would pass C. wouldn’t have passed D. wouldn’t pass 【答案与解析】 1. 选 B。 time you did 为 It’s time you thanked Aunt Lucy for her It’s present 之略。按照英语语法，it’s time 后从句通常要用过去式。 2. 选 A。 虽然前有虚拟条件句, 后有使用了虚拟语气的宾语， I 但 don’t know 却宜用一般现在时，因为 I don’t know 表述的是现在的 真实情况， 句意为“我要不是有幸遇到你， 我真不知(指现在不知)我会 做出什么蠢事来”。
3. 选 B。I’d rather 后接从句时，从句谓语的时态规律是：用过去 式表示现在或将来，用过去完成式表示过去。 4. 选 A。we can’t get there by tomorrow 为客观事实，故宜用陈述 语气。 5. 选 B。第一空填 knew，因为 I wish 后的宾语从句要用虚拟语 气(即用过去式表示现在的想法);第二空要填 lives， 即用陈述语气， 因 为 where he lives 是一个客观事实，而不是 I wish 的内容。 6. 选 C。It’s time… / It’s high time… / It’s about time… 等后接从 句时，从句谓语通常用过去式。 7. 选 B。此题涉及错综时间虚拟条件句，主句与现在事实相反， 条件句与过去事实相反。句意为：要不是在七岁时就迷上了 Melinda Cox 图书馆，我真不能想像我如今会在做什么。 8. 选 D。这是 otherwise 引出的含蓄虚拟语气，再根据前面的 hesitated 可进一步知道这是与过去事实相反的虚拟语气， 由此可推知 答案选 D。 9. 选 C。if only 意为“要是……就好了”，其后的句子谓语要用虚 拟语气，同时根据 as the doctor instructed 中的过去时态可知从句是 与过去事实相反，故选 C。
10. 选 A。 without 引出的介词短语为一个与现在事实相反的含蓄 条件句。 11. 选 D。otherwise 在此相当于 if she had not walked away from the discussion，即暗示一个与过去事实相反的虚拟条件句。 12. 选 D。根据句中的 didn’t let me drive 可知，这是一个与过去 事实相反的虚拟语气句，条件句的谓语用 had+过去分词，主句谓语 用 would / should / could / might have+过去分词。 13. 选 C。as if 引导的句子，有时用虚拟语气，有时不用。原则 上说，若指事实或可能为事实，不用虚拟语气;若指现在，从句谓语 动词用一般过去时(be 用 were);若指过去用过去完成时，若指将来用 过去将来时或用 were to do sth。又如下面一题要选 C： It seems as if the sun ____ round the earth since it rises in the east and sets in the west. A. circles B. is circling C. were circling D. has been circling 14. 选 C。but for 的意思是“若不是，要不是”，用于引出与事实 相反的假设， 通常与虚拟语气连用。 根据句中的 the help you gave me， 可知它表示与过去事实相反，故选 C。
◆精编陷阱题训练◆ 1. “Could you do me a favour and take the box up to the six floor?” “_______.” A. With pleasure B. My pleasure C. No wonder D. No comment 2. “It’s $500, but that is my last offer.” “OK, it is a ________.” A. cost B. price C. reward D. deal 3. “I hear Johnson was badly injured in the accident.” “_______ let’s go and see him.” A. What’s more B. If so C. Where possible D. When necessary 4. “Will you go skiing with me this winter vacation?” “It ______.”
A. all depend B. all depends C. is all depended D. is all depending 5. “Do you want to go to the movie, Jane?” “______. I feel like doing something different.” A. Don’t mention it B. I don’t want it C. I don’t think so D. Not really 6. “Would you like me to show you the way?” “_______.” A. That’s very kind of you. B. Yes, you could. C. Good idea! D. With great pleasure! 7. “I prefer a computer made in your company, but I may need some more information about the product.” “_______.” A. Thank you B. It’s a pleasure C. You are welcome D. At your service 8. “Have a drink?” “No thanks, _____.” A. I do mind B. I don’t like it C. Never mind D. I’d rather not
9. “We’ve missed the train!” “_____, there’ll be another in ten minutes.” A. All right B. Not at all C. Never mind D. Don’t mention it 10. “Would you mind telling her the news?” “_____, but I don’t know if I _____ her these days.” A. Of course, shall see B. Of course not, see C. Of course, see D. Of course not, shall see 11. “May I borrow your paper?” “ ______.” A. By all means B. Never mind C. You are welcome D. Don’t mention it 12. He pushed his way through the crowd, saying “_____.” A. Never mind B. With pleasure C. Go ahead D. Excuse me 13. “Here’s what you asked for.” “______.” A. Many thanks B. Thank a lot
C. Thanks you D. Thank you a lot 14. “Can you spare me a few minutes now?” “______, but I’ll be free this afternoon.” A. No, I won’t B. Yes, with pleasure C. I’m not sure D. I’m afraid not 15. “Would you like to turn that music down? I’m writing a letter.” “_____.” A. No, I’d like to B. No, please C. Yes, sorry. D. Yes, I’d like it. 16. “You must find such long hours very tiring.” “______. I enjoyed it.” A. After all B. Never mind C. Not in the least D. That’s all right 17. “Would you take this along to the office for me?” “_____.” A. That’s right B. With pleasure C. Never mind D. Not at all
18. “Do you need any help with those heavy bags?” “No, thanks; _____.” A. Never mind B. All right C. I can manage D. You are welcome 19. “Mr Smith is a kind person. I like to to work with him.” “In fact, everyone _______.” A. is B. does C. has D. likes 20. “At lunch time I’d like to have a chat with you.” “Pardon, Have _____ with me?” A. when B. who C. which D. what 21. “I think you should phone Jenny and say sorry to her.” “______. It was her fault.” A. No way B. Not possible C. No chance D. Not at all 【答案与解析】
1. 选 A。with pleasure 的意思是“高兴地”、“乐意地”。注意不宜 选 B， pleasure 主要用于回答感谢， my 意为“这是我乐意做的事”、 “不 用客气”，也可说成 It’s my pleasure 或 It’s a pleasure 等。 2. 选 D。It’s a deal 的意思是“就这么办”、“一言为定”。 3. 选 B。if so 为 if it is so 之略，意为“如果那样的话”。 4. 选 B。It all depends 的意思是“那要看情况”，也可说成 That depends。 5. 选 D。not really 表示否定，但语气较轻，意为“不很……”。 6. 选 A。 That’s very kind of you 意为“你太好了”、 “你真是太客气”， 常用于感谢对方的友好提议。又如下面一题也选 A： “Can I get you a cup of coffee?” “______.” A. That’s very nice of you B. With pleasure C. You can, please D. Thank you for the tea 7. 选 D。at your service 的意思是“随时为您服务”、“随时为您效 劳”。 8. 选 D。I’d rather not 通常用于委婉地拒绝对方的邀请或提议。 9. 选 C。never mind 表示安慰，意为“不要紧”、“没关系”。
10. 选 D。 第一空填 of course not， 表示“不介意”;第二空要填 shall see，因为 if 引导的是宾语从句，而不是条件状语从句，所以不能用 一般现在时表示将来。 11. 选 A。by all means 表示同意，意为“完全可以”。 12. 选 D。excuse me 用作从别人面前经过时的礼貌用语，又如： Excuse me, could I get past? 对不起，让我过去好吗? 13. 选 A。 若选 B， 则应改为 Thanks a lot;若选 C， 则应改为 Thank you 或 Thanks;若选 D，则应改为 Thank you very much 之类的。换 句话说， thank 用作动词时， 它是及物的， 其后应有宾语;用作名词时， 它通常要用复数形式。另外注意，英语中虽然可说 Thanks a lot，但 习惯上不说 Thank you a lot。 14. 选 D。甲要乙现在抽出几分钟，而乙说要等下午才有空—— 也就是说，乙现在抽不出时间，所以选 D 最适合。 15. 选 C。 从上下文语境来看， 一方因音乐声放得太大已对另一方 (正在写信)造成影响，所以选 C 较恰当。 16. 选 C。Not in the least 意为“一点也不”。注意联系下文的 I enjoyed it。 17. 选 B，with pleasure 主要用于回答请求或邀请。
18. 选 C。由句意推知。 19. 选 B。does 相当于 likes to work with him。注意不能选 D，因 为 like 是及物动词。 20. 选 D。答话人由于没有听清问话人的 chat 一词，故针对问话 人的 have a chat with you，反问 have what with me? 21. 选 A。no way 的意思是“没门”。根据上下文的语境(尤其是 It was her fault)可推知。
◆精编陷阱题训练◆ 1. “I thought you wouldn’t mind.” “Well, as a matter of fact I don’t, but you _____ me first.” A. should ask B. should have asked C. must ask D. must have asked
2. “I called you yesterday. A woman answered, but I didn’t recognize her voice.” “Oh, it _____ my aunt Jean.” A. must be B. must have been C. might be D. can have been 3. That car nearly hit me; I ______. A. might be killed B. might have been killed C. may be killed D. may been killed 4. It’s a very kind offer, but I really _____ accept it. A. mustn’t B. needn’t C. can’t D. don’t 5. The police still haven’t found her, but they’re doing all they _____. A. may B. can C. must D. will 6. You _____ practise the drums while the baby is sleeping. A. needn’t B. mightn’t C. mustn’t D. won’t
7. You _____ him the news; he knew it already. A. needn’t tell B. needn’t have told C. mightn’t tell D. mightn’t have told 8. As she’s not here, I suppose she _____ home. A. must go B. must have gone C. might go D. might be going 9. Are you still here? You ______ home hours ago. A. should go B. should have gone C. might go D. may have gone 10. “I called you yesterday. A woman answered, but I didn’t recognize her voice.” “Oh, it _____ my aunt Jean.” A. must be B. must have been C. might be D. can have been 11. I _______ have met him a long time ago. Both his name and face are very familiar. A. may B. can
C. would D. should 13. “Shall we go shopping?” “Sorry, we _______ buy anything now because none of the shops are open.” A. mustn’t B. needn’t C. can’t D. shouldn’t 14. They often go to the restaurants for meals. They _____ be very poor. A. mustn’t B. can’t C. may not D. needn’t 15. I didn’t see her in the meeting room this morning. She ______ have spoken at the meeting. A. mustn’t B. shouldn’t C. needn’t D. couldn’t 17. He ______ the test again, in which case, his mother will be very disappointed. A. might fail B. must have failed C. should fail D. could have failed
18. “Why didn’t she come to the meeting yesterday?” “I’m not so sure. She ______ ill.” A. should be B. should have been C. must be D. might have been 19. Why did you just sit and watch? You _______ me. A. could help B. should help C. could have helped D. must have helped 20. “You ______ your teacher for help. He is kind-hearted.” “Yes. A whole day _______.” A. can ask, will waste B. must have asked, had wasted C. could have asked, was wasted D. shouldn’t have asked, would be wasted 21. “Is there a flight to London this evening?” “There _______ be. I’ll phone the airport and find it out.” A. must B. might
C. would D. can 22. “Show me your permit, please.” “Oh, it’s not in my pocket. It ______.” A. might fall out B. could fall out C. should have fallen out D. must have fallen out 23. “Look at these tracks. It _______ be a wolf.” “Don’t be so sure. I think it _______ be a fox.” A. must; could B. may; might C. need; must D. could; need 25. “Did Jim come?” “I don’t know. He _______ while I was out.” A. might have come B. might come C. mush have come D. should have come 【答案与解析】 1. 选 B，should 后接动词完成式表示“本来应该做某事，结果未 做”，此处含有责备之意。
2. 选 B， 对过去情况的肯定推测， 宜用“情态动词 + 动词完成式”， 再根据句意，可确定答案为 B。注：can 表示推测通常不用于肯定陈 述句。 3. 选 B，表示过去可能发生而实际上未发生的事，用 might + 动 词完成式。 若只是推测过去可能已经发生的事， 则可用 may [might] + 动词完成式，如 He may [might] have gone. 他可能已经走了。 4. 选 C。由句意可知。 5. 选 B，do all one can 意为“尽力”或“竭尽全力”。 6. 选 C，mustn’t 在此相当于 can’t，且语气更强。 7. 选 B，“needn’t + 动词完成式”的意思是：本来不必做某事，但 实际上做了。上句意思是“你本来不必告诉他这个消息的，因为他(当 时)已经知道了”。注意，句中 knew 为过去式。 8. 选 B，must 后接动词完成式表示对过去情况的肯定推测，意为 “一定已经做了某事”。 9. 选 B，should 后接动词完成式表示“本来应该做某事，结果未 做”。 10. 选 B， 对过去情况的肯定推测， 宜用“情态动词 + 动词完成式”， 再根据句意， 可确定答案为 B。 can 表示推测通常不用于肯定句。 注：
12. 选 A。may have done sth 表示对过去可能发生的事进行推测， 意为“可能曾经”。 13. 选 C。根据上下文的语境推知。can’t 意为“不能”。 14. 选 B。 根据上下文的语境推知。 can’t 表推测， 意为“不不能”。 16. 选 D。couldn’t have done sth 表示对过去情况进行推测，意为 “过去不可能发生过某情况”。 17. 选 A。根据下文的 will be 可知，“他考试再不及格”是将来的 事，据此可排除 B 和 D。再根据语意，排除 C。 18. 选 D。从时间上看，由于是昨天没来开会，所以推测他生病 也应指昨天， 故排除 A 和 C。 从语境上看， 既然上文说 I’m not so sure， 那么说明说话者对自己的推测没有很大把握，故选 D。 19. 选 C。根据上文的过去时态可知，此句谈的是过去的事，故排 除 A 和 C。根据语境排除 D。 20. 选 C。couldn’t have done sth 结构在此表示责备，指过去本来 可以做某事但实际上未做。 第二空填 was wasted， 陈述的是过去的一 事实。 21. 选 B。根据下文的 I’ll phone the airport and find it out 可知， 说话人对自己的推测没有很大把握， 故选 might。 若选 A， 语气太强，
不合语境;若选 D，不合语法习惯，因为 can 表推测通常不用于肯定 陈述句中。 22. 选 D。既然“通行证现在不在口袋里”，那么它“掉出去”应发生 在过去，故排除 A 和 B。比较选项 C 和 D 所表示的意思，选 D 更恰 当。 24. 选 A。根据 Don’t be so sure 可知前面一空应填 must。第二空 填的 could 表示推测，虽为过去式形式，但表示现在意义，语气较委 婉，它与表推测的 can 主要用于否定句和疑问句不同，它可以用于 肯定陈述句。 25. 选 A。根据句中有关时态可知“他来”发生在过去，故排除 B; 根据 I don’t know 可知选项 C 语气太肯定，不合适;选项 D 的意思是 “本来应该来”，与语境不合。
1. To our surprise the stranger _____ to be an old friend of my mother’s. A. turned out B. turned up C. set out D. set up 2. All the girls swam in the lake except two, who _____ halfway. A. gave off B. gave up C. gave away D. gave out 3. If the new arrangement doesn’t _____, we’ll go back to the old one. A. work over B. work out C. work up D. work in 4. “Have great changes taken place in your village?” “Yes, A new school was ______ in the village last year.” A. held up B. set up C. sent up D. brought up 5. I had to ______ because someone else wanted to use the phone. A. give up B. put up
C. hang up D. ring up 6. Elephants would ______ if men were allowed to shoot as many as they wished. A. die down B. die out C. die away D. die off 7. My study of biology has ___C___ much of my spare time, but it has given me a great deal of enjoyment. A. taken off B. taken down C. taken up D. taken away 8. The plan ___ just because people were unwilling to co-operate(合 作). A. broke down B. pulled down C. turned down D. put down 9. The government has _______ the parents to work with teachers in the education of their children. A. asked for B. called for C. looked for D. paid for
10. John has put on so much weight recently that his mother has to ______ all his trousers to his measure. A. let out B. give away C. bring in D. make up 11. I can ______ some noise while I’m studying, but I can’t stand very loud noise. A. put up with B. get rid of C. have effect on D. keep away from 12. The mother often tells her son to be a good boy, warning him to ______ trouble. A. hold back from B. keep out of C. break away from D. get rid of 13. To my surprise, the manager ______ 30 dollars from my salary without any good reason. A. cut off B. held up C. brought down D. kept back
14. Steven has a lot of work to _______ in the office since he has been away for quite a few days. A. take up B. make up C. work out D. carry out 15. Although Jane agrees with me on most points, there was one on which she was unwilling to _______. A. give out B. give in C. give away D. give off 16. You should ______ what your parents expect of you. A. live up to B. stand up to C. look up to D. run up to 17. I can hardly believe my eyes. What a poor composition you have _______. There are so many wrong spellings in it. A. turned into B. turned off C. turned to D. turned in 18. “Why don’t we go for a picnic this weekend?” “Good idea! I would ______ the car and you’ll prepare the food.”
A. look after B. take care of C. see about D get down to 19. How I wish that I could ______ my ideas in simple and wonderful English when chatting on the net. A. set out B. set off C. set over D. set up 20. Some kinds of animals can _______ the colour of their surroundings. A. take on B. dress up C. put on D. get into 【答案与解析】 1. 选 A。 out 意为“结果是， turn 原来是”等;turn up 意为“找到， 发 现，出现，开大音量”等;set out 意为“开始，出发，陈述”等;set up 意 为“设立，竖立，架起，升起，创(纪录)，提出”等。 2. 选 B。give up 意为“放弃”;give out 意为“分发，发出(气味、热 等)，发表，用尽，精疲力竭”;give away 意为“送掉，分发，放弃，泄 露，出卖”;give off 意为“发出(蒸汽、光等)，长出(枝、杈等)”。
3. 选 B。work out 在此表示“有预期结果”;work over 意为“调查， 重做”;work up 意为“逐步建立， 逐步发展”;work in 意为“配合， 引进”。 4. 选 B。 up 意为“建立”;hold up 意为“举起， set 支撑， 继续下去， 阻挡，拦截”;send up 意为“发出，射出，长出，使上升”;bring up 意 为“教育，培养，提出”。 5. 选 C。give up 指“放弃”，put up 指“举起，架起，修建，张贴” 等，hang up 指“挂断(电话)”，ring up 指“给某人打电话”。 6. 选 B。 away 指“(声音、 光线等)渐息， die 风、 渐弱”;die down 指 “(慢慢)熄灭， 平静下来”;die off 指“一个一个地死去”;die out 指“(家族、 种族、习俗、观念等)灭绝，绝迹”。 7. 选 C。take up 意为“开始(学习或从事等)，继续，占去，接纳， 提出”;take off 意为“脱下，起飞，打折，请假”;take away 意为“取 走”;take down 意为“写下，拆下”。 8. 选 A。 break down 意为“中止， 毁掉， 压倒， 停顿， 倒塌”;pull down 意为“摧毁，推翻，使降低，使身体变差”;turn down 意为“拒绝，关 小音量，减弱，降低”;put down 意为“放下，拒绝，镇压，削减，记 下”。 9. 选 B。 for 意为“要求， call 提倡”;ask for 意为“请求， 索要”;look for 意为“寻找”;pay for 意为“为……付钱”。
10. 选 A。let out 意为“放掉，泄露，放大，出租”;give away 意为 “送掉，分发，放弃，泄露, 出卖，让步”;bring in 意为“生产， 挣得， 介绍引进”;make up 意为“弥补，虚构，缝制，整理，和解，编辑，化 妆”。 11. 选 A。put up with 意为“忍受，容忍”;get rid of 意为“摆脱，消 除， 去掉”;have effect on 意为“对……有影响”;keep away from 意为“远 离，不接近”。 12. 选 B。hold back from 意为“向……隐瞒”;keep out of 意为“使 在……之外”;break away from 意为“脱离”;get rid of 意为“摆脱，消除， 去掉”。 13. 选 D。keep back 意为“扣下，留下，阻挡，隐瞒”;hold up 意为 “举起，支撑”;bring down 意为“打倒，击落，打死，降低”;cut off 意 为“切断，断绝”。 14. 选 B。make up 意为“弥补，虚构，整理，编辑，化妆”;take up 意为“拿起， 开始从事， 继续， 吸收”;work out 意为“计算出， 设计出， 有预期结果”;carry out 意为“完成，实现，贯彻，执行”。 15. 选 B。 give in 意为“让步， 屈服， 上交”;give away 意为“分发， 赠送，背弃，出卖，泄漏”; give off 意为“发出(光、热、声音、气味 等)”;give out 意为“分发，散发，用完，耗尽，垮掉，失灵，出故障， 发表，公布，发出(热、声音、信号等)”。
16. 选 A。live up to 意为“实践，做到”;stand up to 意为“勇敢地抵 抗”;look up to 意为“尊敬，仰望”;run up to 意为“达到，积累到”。 17. 选 D。turn in 意为“上交，归还”;turn into 意为“进入，(使)变 成”;turn to 意为“转向，变成，求助于，致力于”;turn off 意为“关掉， 避开”。 18. 选 C。see about 意为“查询，留意于”;look after 和 take careof 均表示为“照顾，关心”;get down to 意为“开始认真考虑”。 19. 选 A。set out 意为“陈述，陈列，出发，开始”;set off 意为“出 发，动身”;set over 意为“移交，置于……上，指派……管理”;set up 意为“设立，竖立，架起，升起，创(纪录)，提出”。 20. 选 A。 take on 意为“披上， 呈现， 具有， 雇用， 接纳， 流行”;dress up 意为“打扮， 装饰， 伪装”;put on 意为“穿上， 把……放在上， 装出， 增加”;get into 意为“进入，陷入，穿上”。
1. He looked around and caught a man ______ his hand into the pocket of a passenger. A. put B. to be putting C. to put D. putting 2. When you’re learning to drive, _______ a good teacher makes a big difference. A. have B. having C. and have D. and having 3. I felt it a great honour ______ to speak to you. A. to ask B. asking C. to be asked D. having asked 4. I would love _______ to the party last night but I had to work extra hours to finish a report. A. to go B. to have gone C. going D. having gone 5. Before you decide to leave your job, _______ the effect it will have on your family.
A. consider B. considering C. to consider D. considered 6. Robert is said _______ abroad, but I don’t know what country he studied in. A. to have studied B. to study C. to be studying D. to have been studying 7. It is said that in Australia there is more land than the government knows _______. A. it what to do with B. what to do it with C. what to do with it D. to do what with it 8. Anyone _______ bags, boxes, or whatever, was stopped by the police. A. seen carry B. seen carrying C. saw to carry D. saw carrying 9. Mr Reed made up his mind to devote all he had to _______ some schools for poor children. A. set up B. setting up
C. have set up D. having set up 10. The discovery of new evidence led to _______. A. the thief having caught B. catch the thief C. the thief being caught D. the thief to be caught 11. She looks forward every spring to _______ the flower-lined garden. A. visit B. paying a visit C. walk in D. walking in 12. To test eggs, _______ them in a bowl of water: if they float they’re bad, if they sink they’re good. A. put B. putting C. to put D. to be putting 13. “Where is David?” “He is upstairs ______ ready to go out.” A. to get B. getting C. to be getting D. having got
14. “Mum, why do you always make me eat an egg every day?” “________ enough protein and nutrition as you are growing up.” A. Get B. Getting C. To get D. to be getting 15. He was reading his book, completely _______ to the world. A. lost B. losing C. to lose D. to have lost 16. We looked everywhere for the keys, but they are nowhere _______. A. to find B. to have found C. to be found D. being found 17. The boy wanted to ride his bicycle in the street, but his mother told him _______. A. not to B. not to do C. not do it D. do not do 18. A cook will be immediately fired if he is found _______ in the kitchen.
A. smoke B. smoking C. to smoke D. smoked 19. Finding her car stolen, _______. A. a policeman was asked to help B. the area was searching thoroughly C. it was looked for everywhere D. she hurried to a policeman for help 20. “How do you deal with the disagreement between the company and the customers?” “The key ______ the problem is to meet the demand ______ by the customers.” A. to solving, making B. to solving, made C. to solve, making D. to solve, made 21. “What do you think made Mary so upset?” “_______ her new bike.” A. As she lost B. Lost C. Losing D. Because of losing
22. The research is so designed that once _______ nothing can be done to change it. A. begins B. having begun C. beginning D. begun 23. Though ________ money, his parents managed to send him to university. A. lacked B. lacking of C. lacking D. lacked in 24. Tony was very unhappy for _______ to the party. A. having not been invited B. not having invited C. having not invited D. not having been invited 25. Though I have often heard this song _______. I have never heard you _______ it. A. being sung, sang B. sang, singing C. sung, sing D. to be sung, to sing 26. He is a man of few words, and seldom speaks until _______ to.
A. spoken B. speaking C. speak D. be spoken 28. When I handed the report to John, he said that George was the person _______. A. to send B. for sending it C. to send it to D. for sending it to 29. _______ on time, this medicine will be quite effective. A. Taking B. Being taken C. Taken D. Having taken 30. The film star walked to his car, ______ a crowd of journalists. A. followed by B. following by C. to follow D. to be followed by 31. After describing the planned improvements, she went on _______ how much they would cost. A. to explain B. explaining C. to be explaining D. having explained
32. Please excuse me _______ your letter by mistake. A. to open B. to have opened C. for opening D. in opening 33. Please remember _______ the plants while I’m away. A. watering B. to be watering C. to water D. being watering 34. Certainly I posted your letter — I remember ______ it. A. posting B. to post C. to be posting D. have posted 35. Stop _______ me to hurry up. I can only go so fast. A. to tell B. telling C. to have told D. having told 36. Remember _______ off the light when _______ to bed. A. turning, going B. to turn, to go C. turning, to go D. to turn, going
37. _______ time, he’ll make a first-class tennis player. A. Having given B. To give C. Giving D. Given 38. _______ in 1636, Harvard is one of the most famous universities in the United States. A. Being founded B. It was founded C. Founded D. Founding 39. The lady said she would buy a gift for her daughter with the ________. A. 20 dollars remained B. 20 dollars to remain C. remained 20 dollars D. remaining 20 dollars 40. The picture _______ on the wall is painted by my nephew. A. having hung B. hanging C. hangs D. being hung 41. With a lot of difficult problems ________, the newly-elected president is having a hard time.
A. settled B. setting C. to settle D. being settled 42. Having a trip abroad is certainly good for the old couple, but it remains _______ whether they will enjoy it. A. to see B. to be seen C. seeing D. seen 43. Tony was very unhappy for _______ to the party. A. having not been invited B. not having invited C. having not invited D. not having been invited 44. “Good morning. Can I help you?” “I’d like to have this package _______.” A. be weighed B. to be weighed C. to weigh D. weighed 45. What have we said _______ her so happy? A. makes B. to make C. made D. has made
46. What worried the child most was ______ to visit his mother in the hospital. A. his not allowing B. his not being allowed C his being not allowed D. having not being allowed 47. “Which sweater is yours?” “The one _______ No. 9.” A. that marked B. was marked with C. which marked D. marked with 48.If the car won’t start, _____ it. A. try push B. try pushing C. to try pushing D. to try to push 49. They stayed up until midnight _____ the old year out and the new year in. A. and saw B. to see C. seeing D. for seeing 【答案与解析】
1. 选 D。catch sb doing sth 意为“碰上某人在做某事”或“逮住某做 某事”。 2. 选 B。这是一个含 when 引导时间状语从句的主从复合句， having a good teacher 在主句中用作主语。 3. 选 C。 句中的 it 为形式主语， 不定式 to be asked to speak to you 为真正主语，因“我”与 ask 为被动关系，故用被动式。 4. 选 B。like 和 love 后接不定式或动名词均可，但 would love / like 后只能接不定式，据此可排除选项 C、D。表示过去未曾实现的 愿望，其后要接不定式完成式，即选 B。 5. 选 A，before 引导的是时间状语从句，填空句为主句，而此主 句为一祈使句，故动词用原形。其中 it will have … 为修饰名词 the effect 的宾语从句。 6. 选 A。根据句中的 studied 可知，他曾到国外留过学，也就是 说“留学”这个动作已结束并发生在谓语动作(is said)之前， 故用完成式， 即选 A。 7. 选 C。do with 与 what 连用可以表示“处置”、“放置”、“利用” 等。如： What shall I do with it? 怎样处置它好呢?
What have you done with my umbrella? 你把我的雨伞放到哪 里去 了? I don’t know what to do with this strange object. 我不知道这怪东西 有什么用。 8. 选 B。anyone seen carrying bags…为 anyone who was seen carrying bags 之略，其中过去分词短语 seen carrying bags … 用作定 语修饰代词 anyone。 另外， 句中的 who was seen carrying bags 为 see sb doing sth 这一结构的被动式。 9. 选 B。devote…to… 的意思是“把……贡献给……”或“致力 于……”，其中 to 是介词，不是不定式符号，若后动词要用动名词。 句中的 he had 为定语从句，用以修饰 all，注意不将 had to 视为同 一个语义结构。 10. 选 C。lead to 意为“导致”，其中的 to 是介词，不是不定式 符号， 若后接动词要用动名词。 由于逻辑主语 the thief 与 catch 为被 动关系，故答案选 C。 11. 选 D。look forward to 意为“期盼”，其中 to 是介词，后接动 词要用动名词。注意不能选 B，因为 pay a visit 不能带 the flower-lined garden 作宾语， 假若在 paying a visit 后加上介词 to， 则 可选 B。
12. 选 A。 句首的 to test eggs 为目的状语， 填空句为祈使句谓语， 故要用动词原形。 13. 选 B。现在分词短语表伴随。 14. 选 C。to get enough protein and nutrition 表目的。 15. 选 A。 lost to sth 为习语， (be) 意为“不再受某事物的影响”、 “将 某事物置之度外”。 16. 选 C。因 keys 与 find 是被动关系。 17. 选 A。 不定式的否定式总是将否定词 not 置于不定式符号 to 之前，而不能置于其后，同时结合 tell sb (not) to do sth 这一结构可 排除选项 C、D。当不定式的动词是前面已出现过的相同的动词时， 为避免重复，通常省略该不定式而只保留不定式符号 to。 18. 选 B。find 后可接现在分词(表示动作在进行)或过去分词(表 被动关系)作宾语补足语，但是不接不定式。另外，由于 he 与 smoke 是主动关系，故选 B。 19. 选 D。非谓语动词作状语时，其逻辑主语就是句子主语。比 较四个选项，finding her car stolen 的逻辑主语显然是 she，而不是 a policeman, the area, it 等，故选 D。
20. 选 B。the key to… 意为“……的关键”，其中的 to 是介词， 不是不定式符号，若后接动词要用动名词。另一方面，名词 demand 与 make 是被动关系(make demands 提出要求)，同时根据句中的 by the customers，可确定答案选 B。 21. 选 C。答句是针对疑问词 what 的回答，而问句中的疑问词 what 在句中用作主语，所以答句也应是一个能用作主语的东西，比 较四个选项，只有 C 合适。其完整回答形式为 Losing her new bike made Mary so upset. 比较，下面一题要填不定式，因为四个选项中只 有 To choose a new chairman 能回答疑问词 why： “Why was a special meeting called?” “______ a new chairman.” A. Choose B. Choosing C. To choose D. Chosen 22. 选 D。由于 the research 与 begin 是被动关系，故用过去分 词 begun。Once begun 可视为 once it is begun 之省略。 23. 选 C。由于 his parents 与 lack money(缺钱)是主动关系，故 用现在分词，又因为 lack 是及物动词，故后接宾语无需用介词，故 选 C。
24. 选 D。非谓语动词的否定式要将否定词 not 放在整个非谓语 动词之前，据此可排除 A、C。另外，由于 Tony 与 invite 是被动 关系，故选 D。 25. C。第一空填 sung，因为 song 与 sing 是被动关系;第二空填 sing，因为 you 与 sing 是主动关系。 27. 选 A。until spoken to 可视为 until he is spoken to 之略。 28. 选 C， 不定式短语 to send it to 用作这语， 修饰其前的名词 the person。 注意句尾的介词 to 不能省略， 因为被修饰的名词 the person 为介词 to 的逻辑宾语。 29. 选 C。 medicine 与动词 take 为被动关系， this 故用过去分词。 30. 选 A。从句意上看，人群跟在明星后面，反过来，明星便是 被人群跟着。 31. 选 A。go on doing sth = 继续做同一事情，go on to do sth = 做 完某事后续继做某事。 32. 选 C。excuse sb for doing sth 意为“原谅某人做了某事”。 33. 选 C。 remember doing sth = 记住曾经做过的事， remember to do sth = 记住要做的事。
34. 选 A。remember doing sth = 记住曾经做过的事，remember to do sth = 记住要做的事。 35. 选 B。根据下文的 I can only go so fast 知前文应是叫对方不 要老催自己快走。比较：stop doing sth = 停止做某事，stop to do sth = 停下正在做的事去干另一事。 36. 选 D。一是分清以下两个结构：remember to do sth=记住做某 事，remember doing sth=记住曾做过某事;二是注意 when going to bed 相当于 when you go to bed。 37. 选 D。 由于动词 give 与其逻辑主语 he 是动宾关系， 故用过 去分词，即选 D。其中 Given time 可视为 If he is given time 之略。 38. C。由于 Harvard(哈佛大学)与 found(建立)是被动关系，且因 句中有 in 1636，故选 C。注意不能选 B，否则前后两句之间缺少必 要的连词。 39. 选 D，由于 remain 为不及物动词，所以包含过去分词 remained 的 A 和 C 不宜选(因为两者均含有被动意味);选项 B 也不宜 选，不定式 to remain 用作修饰 20 dollars 的后置定语，由于彼此之 间有逻辑上的动宾关系，故不妥(因为 remain 不及物)。现在分词 remaining 的意思是“剩下的”。
40. 选 B。 动词 hang 表示“悬挂”时， 可用作及物或不及物动词， 此处填 hanging 或 hung 均可，但不能填 being hung，因为它表示 动作正在进行，而此处表示的是一种悬挂的状态。 41. 选 C。“with+名词+不定式”的意思是“有……要……”。又如： I can’t go out with all these clothes to wash. 要洗这些衣服，我无法 出去了。 With such good cardres to carry out the Party’s policy we feel safe. 有这样的好干部执行党的政策，我们感到放心。 42. 选 B。remain 作“尚需”解，是连系动词，其后要接不定式作 表语。由于 see 与 it(形式主语，指 whether they will enjoy it)是动宾 关系，因此用不定式的被动式。 43. 选 D。否定词 not 应放在动名词之前，故排除 A、C;又因为 Tony 与 invite 是被动关系，故选 D。 44. 选 D。“have+名词或代词+过去分词”结构在此表示“请某人做 某事”。 45. 选 B。to make her so happy 是结果状语。注意词序 What have we…，不是 What we have…。比较下面一题(答案选 D)： What we have said ________ her so happy.
A. makes B. to make C. made D. has made 46. 选 B。 否定词 not 应放在-ing 形式之前， 逻辑主语 his 之后， 由此可排除 C 和 D;又因为 the child 与 allow 是被动关系， 故选 B。 47. 选 D。marked with 可视为 which is marked with No. 9 之略。 48. 选 B。 注意句首为 if 引导的条件状语从句， 填空句为祈使句， 故第一个动词应是 try， 不应是 to try;另外， doing sth 的意思是“做 try 某事试试看有何效果”。 49. 选 B。不定式表目的。
◆精编陷阱题训练◆ 1.—Who are making so much noise in the garden? —_______ the children.
A. It is B. They are C. That is D. There are 2. It is _______ he often fails in exams ______ makes his parents worried about him. A. what; that B. that; what C. that; that D. / ; that 3. It is the protection for the trees _______ really matters, rather than how many trees are planted. A. what B. that C. 不填 D. which 4. It is _____ my father worked _____ I work now. A. where, that B. where, when C. that, where D. that, that 5. Was _____ that I saw last night at the concert? A. it you B. not you C. you D. that you
6. It was ten o’clock _____ he came back home. A. when B. that C. since D. after 7. It was not until he came back _____ he knew the police were looking for him. A. which B. since C. that D. before 【答案与解析】 1. 选 A。为强调句型 It is the children who are making so much noise 之省略。 2. 选 C。 为强调句型， 被强调成分为主语从句 that he often fails in exams。 3. 选 B。为强调句型，句意为“真正重要的在于保护树，而不在于 种多少树”。 4. 选 A，整个句子为 it was … that … 格式的强调句式，即第二 空要填 that;第一空填 where， where my father worked 为地点状语从句， 为强调句的被强调部分。句意为“我现在我父亲曾经工作过的地方工 作”。
5. 选 A， 为强调句的一般疑问句形式， 其相应陈述句为 It was you that I saw …。 6. 选 A。when 表示“当……的时候”，句首的 it 表示时间，全句 意为“当他回到家时，时间是 10 点钟。” 7. 选 C。为 He didn’t know the police were looking for him until he came back 之强调形式。注意，not … until … 的强调句式通常为 It was not until … that … 的形式。
◆精编陷阱题训练◆ 1. The president _____ a cool reception when he visited London. A. gave B. was given C. had given D. had been given 2. A red sky in the morning _____ to be a sign of bad weather.
A. says B. is saying C. has said D. is said 3 If you go there alone after dark you might get _____. A. attacked and robbed B. attacking and robbing B. to attack and rob D. to be attacked and robbed 4. What I wanted to know was when and where the meeting ______. A. was holding B. had held C. was to hold D. was to be held 5. New medicines and instruments ______ every day to extend life. A. develop B. are being developed C. are developing D. have developed 6. I’ll come after the meeting if time ______. A. permits B. is permitting C. is permitted D. has permitted 7. The students _____ ￡50 a year to cover the cost of books and stationery.
A. give B. are given C. have given D. to give 8. With the development of science, more new technology _______ to the fields of IT. A. has introduced B. is being introduced C. is introduced D. was introduced 9.”How about the dishes, Dear?” “The beef didn’t taste very good. It ______ too long.” A. cooked B. had been cooked C. was cooked D. had cooked 10. He kept a little notebook, in which ______ the names and addresses of his friends. A. wrote B. was writing
C. was written D. were written 11. “Look! Everything here is under construction.” “What is the small building that ______for?” A. is being building B. has been built
C. is built D. is being built 12. Hundreds of jobs _______ if the factory closes. A. lose B. will be lost C. are lost D. will lose 13. A red sky in the morning ______ to be a sign of bad weather. A. says B. is saying C. has said D. is said 14. New medicines and instruments ______ every day to extend life. A. develop B. are being developed C. are developing D. have developed 【答案与解析】 1. 选 B。一方面语意要求要被动语态，另一方面从句时态暗示主 句应用一般过去时。 2. 选 D。此句也可说成 It is said that a red sky in the morning is a sign of bad weather. 3. 选 A，“get + 过去分词”表被动。
4. 选 D，从逻辑上说，“会议”应是被开，故用被动式。 5. 选 B。从语境上看，develop 不仅要用被动语态，而且要用进 行时态。 6. 选 A，该用法中的 permit 为不及物动词，不用被动语态。其 中 if time permits 也可换成 time permitting。 7. 选 B。谓语为 give sb sth 结构的被动语态形式。 8. 选 B。技术应该是“被”引进，故用被动语态;根据语境句子应用 现在进行时。 9. 选 B。从句意上看，“牛肉”应该是“被”煮，故句子要用被动语 态;从时间上看，由于句中有 didn’t taste very good，所以“煮得太久” 应该在这一过去时间之前，故用过去完成时。 10. 选 D。 which were written the names and addresses…为倒装句 in 式， 其正常表达为 the names and addresses of his friends were written in the notebook。 11. 选 D。因为 building 应该是“被建”，故用被动语态;再根据前 文的 look, under construction 等信息词可知，此处应用现在进行时态。 12. 选 B。jobs 与 lose 应为被动关系，故用被动语态;再根据条件 状语从句中的一般现在时可知主句以用一般将来时为宜。
13. 选 D。因为主语 a red sky 与谓语动词 say 之间为被动关系， 故用被动语态。 14. 选 B。因为“新的药物和器械”与“开发”之间为被动关系，故用 被动语态。
◆精编陷阱题训练◆ 1. All of the flowers now raised here have developed from those _______ in the forest. A. once they grew B. they grew once C. they once grew D. once grew 2. In the office I never seem to have time until after 5:30 pm, _____ many people have gone home.
A. that B. which C. whose time D. by which time 3. Is this the reason _______ at the meeting for his carelessness in his work? A. he explained B. what he explained C. how he explained D. why he explained 4. Luckily, we’d brought a road map without ______ we would have lost our way. A. it B. that C. this D. which 5. When he was working there he caught a serious illness from _____ efforts he still suffers. A. which B. that C. whose D. what 6. It’s said that he’s looking for a new job, one ______ he can get more money to support his family. A. when B. where
C. that D. which 7. We are living in an age ______ many things are done on computer. A. which B. that C. whose D. when 8. The little time we have together we’ll try _____ wisely. A. spending it B. to spend it C. to spend D. spending that 9. The old building, behind _______ was a famous church, was _______ we used to work. A. that, the place B. it, the place C. which, where D. what, where 10. We will be shown around the city: schools, museums, and some other places, _______ other visitors seldom go. A. what B. which C. where D. when
11. The modern history of Italy dates from 1860, ______ the country became united. A. when B. if C. since D. until 12. All of the flowers now raised here have developed from those _____ in the forest. A. once they grew B. they grew once C. that once grew D. once grew 13. You could see the runners very well from ______ we stood. A. which B. where C. that D. when 14. Recently I bought an ancient Chinese vase, _______ was very reasonable. A. which price B. the price of which C. its price D. the price of whose 15. What have you got _____ will help a cold?
A. what B. that C. it D. who 16. He was very angry and I can still remember the way _____ he spoke to me. A. how B. that C. what D. which 17. Do you know the man from ________ house the pictures were stolen? A. which B. that C. what D. whose 18. I can think of many cases _______ students obviously knew a lot of English words and expressions but couldn’t write a good essay. A. why B. which C. as D. where 19. Is this all that you need? If you married me, I’d give you everything you _____. A. want B. wanted
C. had wanted D. are wanting 20. I met the teacher in the street yesterday ________ taught me English three years ago. A. which B. when C. where D. who 21. He’s got himself into a dangerous situation _____ he is likely to lose control over the plane. A. where B. which C. while D. why 22. He made another wonderful discovery, ______ of great importance to science. A. which I think is B. which I think it is C. which I think it D. I think is 23. Dorothy was always speaking highly of her role in the play, ____, of course, made the others unhappy. A. who B. which C. this D. what
24. Their problem today is somewhat similar to _____ they faced many years ago. A. that B. which C. that which D. it 25. I saw some trees the leaves of _____ were black with disease. A. that B. which C. it D. what 26. The famous basketballer, _______ tried to make a comeback, attracted a lot of attention. A. where B. when C. which D. who 27. When they went into the shop and asked to look at the engagement rings, the girl brought out a cheaper one, _______ she had arranged with James. A. the which was what B. what was that C. which was what D. that was that 【答案与解析】
1. 选 C。 先行词是 those， 可视为 those flowers 之省略。 they once grew 前省略了关系代词 which。全句意为：这儿所养的花是由他们 曾在森林里种植的花培养出来的。 2. 选 D。 which time 引出的是一个非限制性定语从句， by 其中 by which time 相当于 and by that time。 3. 选 A。注意不能选 D，因为动词 explained 缺宾语。 4. 选 D。which 指 the road map。 5. 选 C。from whose efforts he still suffers 为修饰 a serious illness 的定语从句，whose 在定语从句中用作定语，修饰 efforts。 6. 选 B。 where 引导定语从句修饰 one。 one 在此指 a new job。 注： 类似地，下面一题的答案是 C，因为 one that 相当于 a problem that： The problem is _____ has caused us a lot of trouble. A. one B. that C. one that D. that one 7. 选 D。先行词是表时间的 age(时代)，由于关系词在定语从句 中作状语，故用 when。 8. 选 C。该句的正常词序为 We will try to spend the little time we have together wisely.
9. 选 C。第一空填 which，指 the old building;第二空填 where， 用以引导表语从句。 10. 选 C。先行词是地点名词 places，由于关系词在定语从句中 作状语，故用 where。 11. 选 A。when 引导的是非限制性定语从句。 12. 选 C。that once grew in the forest 为修饰 those 的定语从句。 13. 选 B。where 在此相当于 the place where。 14. 选 B。the price of which was very reasonable 为非限制性定语 从句，其中的 the price of which 相当于 and its price 或 and the price of it。假若空格前有并列连词 and，则可选 C。 15. 选 B。that will help a cold 为修饰 what 的定语从句。比较： Have you got anything that will help a cold? 以及 I’ve got nothing that will help a cold. 16. 选 B。the way 后不接 how 引导的从句，换句说，how 不是 关系代词或关系副词，不能引导定语从句。以 the way 为先行词的定 语从句通常用 that 或 in which 来引导，在非正式文体中也可省略 that 和 in which。
17. 选 D。from whose house the pictures were stolen 为修饰 the man 的定语从句，whose 在定语从句中用作定语，修饰 house。 18. 选 D。先行词是 many cases，关系副词 where =in which。 19. 选 A。尽管句中用了 if you married me, I’d give you everything 这样的虚拟语气句子，但修饰 everything 的定语从句 (that) you want 却要用陈述语语气，因为它是回答前面 Is this all that you need? 这一 提问的。 20. 选 D。因定语从句缺主语，且关系代词指人，故选 D。 21. 选 A。where 所引导的为修饰 a dangerous situation 的定语从 句。 22. 选 A。选项中的 I think 是插入语，若略去不看便可清楚地看 出答案。 23. 选 B。 course 为插入语， of 若将项其去掉， 则答案显然是 B。 24. 选 C。that which 相当于 the problem which。 25. 选 B。the leaves of which 相当于 whose leaves。 26. 选 D。先行词是 The famous basketballer(著名的篮球明星)， 故要用 who 来引导定语从句，因为其余三项均不用于指人。
27. 选 C。which 引导一个非限制性定语从句，其中 which 指代 a cheaper one，且在定语从句中用作主语。which was what 中的 what 引导一个表语从句，它相当于 the one that。
◆精编陷阱题训练◆ 1. Don’t be afraid of asking for help _______ it is needed. A. unless B. since C. although D. when 2. A good storyteller must be able to hold his listeners’ curiosity ________ he reaches the end of the story. A. when B. unless C. after D. until 3. _______ I know the money is safe, I shall not worry about it.
A. Even though B. Unless C. As long as D. while 4 You will succeed in the end ____ you give up halfway. A. even if B. as though C. as long as D. unless 5. “Was his father very strict with him when he was at school?” “Yes. He had never praised him _______ he became one of the top students in his grade.” A. after B. unless C. until D. when 6. _____ I suggest, he always disagrees. A. However B. Whatever C. Whichever D. Whoever 7. You should put on the notices ______ all the people may see them. A. where B. in which C. at D. for them
8. _____ she goes, there are crowds of people waiting to see her. A. Wherever B. However C. Whichever D. Whoever 9. Mary clapped her hand over her mouth _______ she realized what she had said. A. while B. as soon as C. suddenly D. then 10. ________ her faults, she’s Arnold’s mother. Don’t be so rude to her. A. Whatever B. What C. Whichever D. Whenever 11. ____ you’re got a chance, you might as well make full use of it. A. Now that B. After C. Although D. As soon as 12. I thought she was the very girl that I should marry _______ I met her.
A. first time B. for the first time C. the first time D. by the first time 13. Don’t play by the river _______ you fall in and drown! A. in case B. so that C. in order that D. when 14. Why do you want a new job ____ you’ve got such a good one already? A. that B. where C. which D. when 15. He is better than _______ I last visited him. A. when B. that C. how D. which 16. _______ the punishment was unjust, he accepted it without complaint. A. So long as B. Even though C. Since D. While
17. ________ the grandparents love the children, they are strict with them. A. While B. As C. Since D. Because 18. _______ I can see, there is only one possible way to keep away from the danger. A. As long as B. As far as C. Just as D. Even if 19. _______ rich one may be there is always something one wants. A. Whatever B. Whenever C. However D. Wherever 20. John shut everybody out of the kitchen _______ he could prepare his grand surprise for the party. A. which B. when C. so that D. as if 21. Mr Zhang is mild in character. He never shouts ____ he is very angry.
A. if B. even C. though D. even when 22. “How long do you suppose it is _______ he left for Japan?” “No more than half a month.” A. when B. before C. after D. since 23. In some countries, _______ are called “public schools” are not owned by the state. A. that B. which C. as D. what 【答案与解析】 1. 选 D。when 意为“在(当)……时候”。其余三项填入空格处，句 意不通。 2. 选 D。until 意为“直到”，句意为“一位优秀的故事讲述者必须 能够让听众在故事结束前一直保持好奇心”。 3. 选 C。as long as 意为“只要”，全句意为“只要我知道这钱是安 全的，我就不会担心了”。类似地，下面一题也选 as long as：
“What are you going to do this afternoon?’ “I’ll probably go for a walk later on ____ it stays fine.” A. as far as B. as long as C. even if D. as if 4. 选 D。unless 意为“如果不”、“除非”，用以引导一个条件状语 从句。 5. 选 C。考查 not…until… 句式，其意为“直到……才……”。 6. 选 B。 whatever 引导的是让步状语从句， 相当于 no matter what。 注意不能选 A，因为 suggest 是及物动词，它应带自己的宾语，而 however 不能用作宾语。 7. 选 A。where 指“在……的地方”，用以引导地点状语从句。 8. 选 A，wherever 意为“无论什么地方”。 9. 选 B。根据语境可推知。如下面一题也选 as soon as： _______ he became rich he cast aside all his old friends who gave him some help. A. While B. As soon as C. Suddenly D. Then
10. 选 A。whatever her faults 为让步状语从句，句末省略了谓语 动词 are。 11. 选 A。now that 为连词，用以引导原因状语从句，其意为“既 然”，与 since 同义。其中的 might as well 意为“不妨”。全句意为“既 然你得到一个机会，你不妨充分利用它”。 12. 选 C。the first time 在此用作连词，用以引导状语从句。句意 为“我第一次见到她就认为她很诚实”。 13. 选 C。in case 意为“以防”。 14. 选 D。when 不表示“当……的时候”，而表示“既然”，相当于 since，用以引导原因状语从句。全句意为：你既然已经有了这么好的 工作，干吗还要找新的工作呢? 请再两例： I can’t tell you when you won’t listen. 既然你不想听，我就不告诉 你了。 Why use wood when you can use plastic? 既然能用塑料，为什么还 要用木料? 15. 选 A。than 后省略了 he was，假若补充完整，全句即为 He is better than he was when I last visited him。
16. 选 B。比较四个选项：so long as(只要)，even though(即使)， since(自从，既然)，while(当……时候)，其中只有 B 的意思最合适， 全句意为“即使处罚不公平，他毫无怨言地接受”。 17. 选 A。while 在此不表示“当……的时候”，而表示“尽管”。 18. 选 B。 far as 意为“尽， 至于”， as 就， 常用于 as far as I know(据 我所知)， far as one can see(在某人看来)， far as one can(某人尽力)， as as as far as sth / sb is concerned(就某事 / 某人来说)等结构。 19. 选 C。however 在此引导让步状语从句，意义上相当于 now matter how。 20. 选 C。so that 引导目的状语从句，其意为“为了”。 21. 选 D。 根据句子语境， B 或 D 较适合， even 是副词， 选 但 不是连词，不能引导状语从句，故选 D。 22. 选 D。问句的基本结构是“It is +时间段+since 从句”，其原句 型是 I suppose it is no more than half a month since he left for Japan. 假 若对此句中的 no more than half a month 提问，则可得到提问句。 23. 选 D。what 引导的是主语从句，其中的 what 相当于 the schools that。
◆精编陷阱题训练◆ 1. We’re so busy that no one in the office can _____ for any other work. A. spare B. be spared C. share D. be shared 2. He regards that book _____ one of the worst that he’s _____ read. A. to be, ever B. to be, never C. as, ever D. as, never 3. “Did you get a job?” “No, I ______, but it’s no use.” A. expected B. tried to C. managed to D. planned
4. “Do you know that Jack ______ a postman for about six years?” “Yes, I see.” A. has become B. has turned C. has changed D. has been 5. The thing that ______ is not whether you fail or not, but whether you try or not. A. matters B. cares C. considers D. minds 6. I don’t want the green coat. It is red and black colors that ______ me very well. A. suit B. fit C. suits D. fits 7. “Will another fifty be enough?” “Just twenty will ______.” A. work B. do C. suit D. fit 8. Goodbye, Mr. Carter — my secretary will _____ you to the door.
A. send B. lead C. drive D. show 9. This kind of cancer can be cured, provided it is ______ early. A. got B. gained C. seen D. caught 10. We haven’t enough books for everyone; some of you will have to _____. A. help B. enjoy C. share D. spare 11. He asked her to marry him and she _____ him. A. answered B. received C. accepted D. agreed 12. My worst fears were _____ when I saw what the exam questions were. A. done B. seen C. finished D. realized
13. The plan looks good on paper, but will it _____? A. work B. pass C. agree D. does 14. What’s the matter with the radio? Why isn’t it _____? A. broadcasting B. working C. doing D. sounding 15. High unemployment _____ the government billions of pounds in lost taxes. A. spends B. takes C. uses D. costs 16. It’s hard to rescue drowning people because they _____ so much. A. sink B. swim C. jump D. struggle 17. She went to the station to meet her husband, but _____ him in the crowd. A. passed B. recognized
C. missed D. lost 18. I missed what was happening because I wasn’t ______ very closely. A. noticing B. running C. watching D. glancing 19. If you lend me a pound, it will _____ me having to go to the bank. A. save B. share C. serve D. help 20. Don’t _______ your breath trying to persuade them; they’ll never listen. A. use B. waste C. spend D. put 21. He has spent little time on his lessons this term, so he _____ to fail the exam. A. expects B. hopes C. wishes D. requires
22. He will never ______ anything if he doesn’t work hard. A. hope B. wish C. achieve D. succeed 【答案与解析】 1. 选 B，spare 在表示“腾出或省去(多余的人或物)”。 2. 选 C，regard … as …的意思“把……当作……”，其中的介词 as 不能换成 to be。 3. 选 B。I tried to 为 I tried to get a job 之省略。 4. 选 D。 因为 A、 C 均为终止性动词， B、 均不能连用 for about six years 这样的一段时间。 5. 选 A。matter 在此的意思是“要紧”、“关系重大”。 6. 选 A。填空句为强调句，强调主语 red and black colours，故其 后的谓语要用复数，即排除 C 和 D。另外，fit 与 suit 区别是：fit 表 示“适合”或“合身”等(及物或不及物)，主要是指尺寸、大小、形状等 方面的适合， suit 表示“适合”， 而 主要指款式或花色等方面的适合。 7. 选 B。do 在此表示“够”、“足够”、“适合”、“行”、“可以”等义。 又如：
This will never do! 这事永远不可以。 I’m hungry. Get me something to eat. Anything will do. 我饿了，给 我弄点吃的东西，什么都行。 8. 选 D。show sb to the door 意为“送某人到门口”。注意，其中的 介词 to 不可省略，否则就成了 show sb the door(驱赶某人，下逐客 令)。另外，也不要按汉语意思选 A，因为 send 通常表示派人送，而 不表示亲自送。 9. 选 D，catch 在此表示“发现”，句中的 provided 用作连词，意 为“如果”。 10. 选 C。既然书不够，不能每人一本，所以有些人只能 share(分 享)了。 11. 选 C。 accept 意为“同意”、 “接受”， 注意不能选 D， 因为 agree 后不能直接跟名词或代词作宾语。 12. 选 D。realize 在此的意思不是“实现”，而是指“使(不安、恐惧 等)成为事实”。 13. 选 A，work 在此的意思是“起作用”、“奏效”。 14. 选 B。work 在此的意思是“运作”、“运转”。
15. 选 D。 spend 和 cost 均可表示“花费”， 但句型不同： spend + 时 间或金钱 + on sth (in doing sth)，cost + 某人或某机构 + 金钱或时间。 16. 选 D。由句意和常识推知。 17. 选 C。miss 指“错过”。 18. 选 C，由句子的语境可推知。 19. 选 A，save 指“省去(劳力等)”。 20. 选 B。 21. 选 A，expects 在此不是表示“期待”，而是表示“预料”。 22. 选 C，achieve 意为“完成”、“做到”。其余三项均不能直接跟 名词或代词作宾语
1. They lost their way in the forest, and _______ made matters worse was that night began to fall. A. it B. which C. that D. what 2. Patience is a kind of quality — and that is ___A___ it takes to do anything well. A. what B. which C. which D. how 3. It has come to my notice _______ some of you have missed classes. A. what B. which C. that D. when 4. “What were you trying to prove to the police?” “___ I was last night.” A. That B. When C. Where D. What
5. Country life gives him peace and quiet, which is ______ he can’t enjoy while living in big cities. A. that B. why C. where D. what 6. It is pretty well understood _______ controls the flow of carbon dioxide in and out the atmosphere today. A. that B. when C. what D. how 7. _______ she couldn’t understand was ______ fewer and fewer students showed interest in her lessons. A. What; why B. That; what C. What; because D. Why; that 8. _______ we are doing has never been done before. A. That B. What C. Which D. Whether 9. People have heard _______ the President has said; they are waiting to see _______ he will do.
A. how, how B. what, what C. when, how D. that, what 10. When you answer questions in a job interview, please remember the golden rule: Always give the monkey exactly _______ he wants. A. what B. which C. when D. that 11. These wild flowers are so special I would do _______ I can to save them. A. whatever B. that C. which D. whichever 12. _______ she was invited to the ball made her very happy. A. What B. That C. When D. Because 13. Eat ______ cake you like and leave the others for ______ comes in late. A. any, who B. every, whoever
C. whichever, whoever D. either, whoever 14. I had neither a raincoat nor an umbrella. _______ I got wet through. A. It’s the reason B. That’s why C. There’s why D. That’s because 15. ____ has helped to save the drowning girl is worth praising. A. Who B. The one C. Anyone D. Whoever 16. _______ medicine works in a human body is a question _______ not everyone can understand fully. A. How; that B. That; which C. That; which D. What; that 【答案与解析】 1. 选 D。what made matters worse 是主语从句(注意其后有谓语动 词 was)，相当于 the thing that made matters worse。 2. 选 A。what 引导的是表语从句，相当于 the thing that it takes to do anything well。
3. 选 C。that 引导的是一个主语从句，句首的 it 为形式主语。 4. 选 C。 答句为省略句， 其完整形式为 I was trying to prove to the police where I was last night，在此 where 引导的是一个宾语从句。类 似地，下面选 C： “_______ made her struggle to become an artist so hard?” “______ she was a woman.” A. What, What B. That, That C. What, That D. That, What 5. 选 D。 what 引导的是表语从句， what 在此相当于 the things that。 6. 选 C。句首的 it 是形式主语，空格处所填词用于引导主语从 句。由于该主语从句中又缺主语，故排除 A、B、D。(注意：不能选 A，因为 that 引导名词性从句时不能充当句子成分) 7. 选 A。 第一空填 what， 是因为该主语从句中的动词 understand 缺宾语;why 和 because 均可引导表语从句，其区别是： why 引导 表语从句强调结果，because 引导表语从句强调原因。句中空格后文 表明的是结果，故用 why。 8. B。 what 在此引导主语从句且在从句作宾语， 它相当于 the thing that。
9. B。两空均填 what，均用于引导宾语从句，因为两个宾语从句 中的动词 said 和 do 均缺宾语，而在各个选项中只有 what 可用作 宾语。 10. 选 A。what 引导宾语从句。由于动词 wants 缺宾语，所以 填 what。句意是：当你找工作面试回答问题时，请记住这条黄金定 律：永远给予对方确实想要的东西。 11. 选 A。I can to save them 为 I can do to save them 之略，此句 中的 do 缺宾语，故选 whatever。 12. 选 B。 that 在此引导主语从句， 无词义， 也不充当句子成分。 注意不要根据中文意思选 D，因为 because 不用于引导主语从句。 13. 选 C。两个空格处均为引导宾语从句的引导词，而四个选项 中两者可引导宾语从句的只有 C。 14. 选 B。比较 That’s why… 与 That’s because…：前者用于强 调结果，后者用于强调原因。如下面一题选 D： I got wet all through. _______ I had neither a raincoat nor an umbrella. A. It’s the reason B. That’s why C. There’s why D. That’s because
15. 选 D。 is worth praising 这一谓语可知前面是主语从句， 由 排 除不能引导从句的 B 项和 C 项;whoever 引导主语从句表示“任 何……的人”，在此它相当于 anyone who。 16. 选 A。how 引导主语从句，that 引导同位语从句。