选修 7 第 2 单元
1. Do you think it is possible for a robot to have its own needs and desires? (P10) desire (1) n. [C]“欲望” ，后常跟 for 或动词不定式。eg: He has a strong desire for power. [C]&[U]“渴望；渴求” eg: He has a desire to study law in Britain. They had little desire to become rich. (2) v. 但不可用于进行时，后面跟名词或代词、不定式或从句，跟从句时句中要用虚拟语气。 eg: We all desire happiness and health. Mr. White greatly desired to go to Paris. She desires that you (should) come. 2. SATISFACTION GUARANTEED (P11) satisfaction n. [U]“满足；满意” eg: She gets much satisfaction from her work. [C]“令人满意的事” eg: His success at school has been a great satisfaction to his parents. satisfy vt.“使满意” ，不可用于进行时。 eg: Nothing satisfies her — she is always complaining. satisfying, satisfactory 与 satisfied 的区别：这三个形容词均可作定语、表语或补语。 satisfying 和 satisfactory 都表示“令人满意的” ，两者可换用。当用作表语或定语时，句中的主语或所修饰的名词一般是表示 事物的名词。eg: He had a satisfying experience when he was in Tibet. The student gave a satisfactory answer to the question. satisfied“满意的” ，当用作表语或定语时，句中的主语或所修饰的名词一般是表示人的名词。此外，它还可以修饰表示人的 表情的名词。 eg: She’s never satisfied with what she’s got. There was a satisfied smile on his face. 3. ...especially as her husband would be absent for three weeks, … (P11) absent (1) adj. “缺席的； 不在的” ， be absent from “缺席； 不在” (2) v. “缺席；不参加”absent oneself from sth alarmed eg: As we all know, she has always been absent from class recently. “心不在焉的” eg: He had an absent look on his face. eg: He had absented himself from the office for the day. 4. However, when she first saw the robot, she felt alarmed. (P11) adj. “担心；害怕”eg: She was alarmed at the strange animal. “警报” eg: The three of us saw the smoke from the house and gave the alarm. 5. She felt embarrassed and quickly told him to go. (P11) embarrassed adj.“尴尬的” ， be / feel embarrassed about / at sth eg: I felt embarrassed about / at his comments about my hair style. She felt embarrassed about / at her being punished in public. embarrass v.“使尴尬；使难为情” n.“困窘；难堪” eg: He hoped that this request would not embarrass her. eg: To my embarrassment, Tom, my best friend, cheated me. embarrassment embarrassing alarm n. “惊恐的情绪” eg: He jumped up in alarm.
eg: When he talked about the embarrassing issue, she felt embarrassed and went away. 6. As he was not allowed to accompany her to the shops, he wrote out a list of items for her. (P11) accompany v.“陪伴” “伴奏” eg: At last, she accompanied me to the doctor ’s keeping on comforting me. eg: The well-known singer sang and her husband accompanied her on the piano.
company n.“有人作伴；伙伴” ， keep sb company“陪伴某人” eg: Unluckily, I had no company on the journey abroad. It was the third time that I had kept the patient company. company“公司；剧团” declare eg: He had been a leading member of a touring company. 7. … and then heard him declare that he didn’t want to leave her the next day … (P12) v.“表明” eg: I declared at the meeting that if he did it like that I would not support him. 1
“宣告；声明” eg: The court declared that the strike action was illegal. 8. It was going to be tested out by Larry’s wife, Claire. (P11) test out “检验” eg: This new medicine is still in the process of being tested out. “考验” eg: The soldiers will be tested out under the stress of war. test for“检验；化验” eg: The water is regularly tested for purity. test on“测试；试验” eg: Do you think it right that drugs should be tested on animals? 9. …she rang Tony up and told the salesman to speak to him. (P11) ring … up“打电话给??” ring back“回电话” ring off“挂断电话” eg: Only when I rang off, did I realize that I forgot to tell him my name. eg: It was not until 12 o’clock that he could ring through to the manager of the company. ring out“发出响声” eg: A shot rang out in the night. ring through to“给??打通电话” turn around“转过身来” “(使企业、经济等)好转 turn up“出现；调高” turn down“关小；拒绝” turn to“向??求助” eg: If the local economy turns around, it is then possible to sell the property at a profit. eg: We arranged to meet at 8 o’clock, but he didn’t turn up. eg: He tried to join the army but was turned down because of his poor health. eg: She has nobody she can turn to. 10. As she turned around, there stood Gladys Claffern. (P11) eg: She rang me up yesterday to invite me to her party. Why not ring him up to make an appointment?
turn out“生产；结果是” eg: The beautiful lady turned out to be a thief. turn in“归还；上交” ；turn over“翻转；翻滚” 11. She shouted “Leave me alone” and ran to her bed. (P12) leave … alone“不管；别惹；别碰” eg: Leave my personal affairs alone, will you> “让??一个人呆着” eg: Are you going to leave me alone? leave behind“遗留；把??抛在后面” leave out“漏掉；删掉” envy eg: Take care not to leave anything behind. eg: I am considering whose name is left out.
12. What a sweet victory to be envied by those women! (P12) (1) v.“妒嫉；羡慕” ，后可跟名词、代词和动词-ing 形式。 eg: I have never envied your success. I really envied you having such a beautiful dress. (2) n.“妒嫉；羡慕” ；envy at / of sth“妒嫉 / 羡慕某物” ；green with envy“非常妒嫉；非常眼红” envy of sb“妒嫉 / 羡慕某人”eg: It is really hard for him to control his envy of Danny. the envy of sb“妒嫉 / 羡慕的对象、东西” eg: His new cell phone was the envy of his friends. envious adj.“妒嫉的；羡慕的” ； be envious of sb / sth“妒嫉 / 羡慕某人 / 某物” eg: She was envious of her sister ’s ability of dealing with problems. enviable adj.“令人羡慕的；引起妒嫉的”eg: This island has an enviable mild climate. 13. Arobot must obey the orders given to it by human beings (as long as human beings are not injured). (P18) obey vt. “遵守” eg: It is necessary for everyone to obey the laws. obedience n. “遵守” eg: The girl showed great obedience all through the party. obedient adj. “遵守的” eg: The naughty boy was only obedient to his teacher ’s words. 14. So set aside some time each day to write, even if it is only five minutes. (P18) set aside“节省或保留(时间或钱)” eg: She sets aside half an hour every day to take exercise. He has set aside enough money to buy a computer. “暂时不考虑；放在一边”eg: Let’s set aside our personal feelings at the moment. The teacher set aside the papers he was marking and reached for his cigarettes and matches. set down“写下；记下” set free“释放” set off“动身；出发” eg: He set down all his important thoughts in his diary. eg: Someone set the prisoners free by cutting through the bars. eg: We’ll set off early tomorrow morning. 2
set up“建立；成立” set out“打算；开始” 选词填空 frightening 2. It’s frightened 1. The little girl was disappeared 4. We are all very pleased
eg: The government has set up a school for the children of the local peasant workers. eg: He set out to write a book about the life of the local people.
to look down from the top of the tall building. amazed amused from sight in the distance. for hours. expressing on her face.
to think the earthquake could break out again.
3. I watched him go away until he 5. Playing with water can keep children
about Mary’s success in her scholarship exam.
6. When she heard the news that she didn’t pass the exam, she had a(n)
当不定式与其逻辑主语之间是被动关系时，要用不定式的被动式；可分为一般式和完成式。 1、一般式：具体表现形式是 to be done，表示动词不定式的动作发生在主要谓语动词之后。 eg: The students want to be sent to work in the countryside. The book is said to be published soon. 2、完成式：具体表现形式是 to have been done，表示不定式的动作发生在主要谓语动词之前。 eg: He was pleased to have been invited to the ball. The book is said to have been translated into many languages. 注意：不用被动式的几种情况： 1、不定式与它前面所修饰的名词或代词构成逻辑上的动宾关系，但是又和该句的主语构成逻辑上的主谓关系时，不定式常用 主动形式。eg: The travelers had nothing to eat that day. Would you bring me some paper to write on? 2、不定式用在形容词后作状语，和句中的主语构成逻辑上的动宾关系时，多用不定式的主动形式。 eg: This text is easy (for us) to recite. John is difficult (for you) to deal with. That box is too heavy (for me) to lift. 3、在 There be + 名词 + to do 结构中，不定式和句中的主语构成逻辑上的动宾关系时，如果强调的是必须有人完成某件事时， 不定式多用主动形式；如果强调的是事情本身必须被完成时，则用被动式。 eg: There are many pigs to feed. Are there any more letters to be posted? 语法聚焦 1. “Teahouse”, a classic play written by Laoshe, A. will perform 2. Some rescue teams A. set up; hit B. performed C. is performed after New Orleans to death. C. be sentenced D. sentenced by some famous stars in the United States next year. D. will be performed by hurricane. D. were setting up; was hitting
B. were set up; to hit B. was sentenced
C. were set up; was hit
3. The judge insisted that the thief A. should sentence 4. As over the weekend. A. was mentioned A. promised ---Yes, it B. mentioning B. had promised very soft.
in the newspapers, about 150,000 people lived in American Red Cross shelters as hurricane Rita threatened the Gulf Coast C. mention C. was promised D. would be mentioned D. had been promised
5. It was the first time that little Tom 6. ---Do you like the coat?
to stay at home alone.
A. is feeling 7. Since I A. better educated
D. is felt D. was better educating with the increasing pressure from academic and D. should pay attention
, I got a job working in an office. B. was better educated C. was to be educated
8. Some experts says that problems in psychology for undergraduates employment competition. A. should pay attention to B. should be paid attention . C. to get along with
C. should be paid attention to D. to get along
9. Barry is very popular because he is easy A. to be getting along B. to be got along with A. to admit to B. to be admitted to
10. It is reported that more and more high school students will have the chance C. of admitting to D. of being admitted
一、单项选择 1. Although she is A. older A. visit A. all in all --5. After A. testing out 6. We felt A. alarmed 7. I’ll get my brother to A. company; to 8. He worked hard to A. leave out 9. Being very angry, he A. turned up A. decided 11. 12. B. turned in B. announced B. Founded B. Ring up B. leave her out B. wished; taking B. to be finished 10. Our government . B. No, I have no time B. carrying out B. embarrassed me B. accompany; by B. set aside C. Not at all. I’d be glad to C. making out C. alarming C. company; on C. build up C. turned off C. declared C. Founding C. Ring off D. Yes, of course not the quality of this new machine, we are ready to produce it. D. squeezing out D. amazed D. accompany; on D. figure out D. turned around D. informed D. Being founded D. Ring out when we found that he was badly hurt in the accident. the piano when I sing a song at the concert. to me by two years, she has more working experience. B. junior B. have visited B. above all C. senior him next week. C. visited C. after all D. visiting D. in all in our class. D. elder
2. My uncle desired that you 3. There are 20 girls
4. ---I’ll be away for the summer holiday. Would you mind going with me? A. I’ll like it
some salary for a big apartment. and went out, saying nothing. that they would try every possible means to help the people in this area.
in 1993, the EU is one of the two largest economies in the world. A. Having founded A. Ring back the railway station and find out when the train leaves. , for she wanted to stay for a while all by herself. C. leave her alone D. forget about to use water C. expected; taken this week. C. finished D. finishing from this river. D. supposed; being taken
13. She told us to A. leave her behind A. hoped; is taken A. finish 二、完形填空
14. Water users in Beijing and Tianjin are 15. The manager expects the work
I went to Beijing this national holiday, and it was an interesting experience of my life. My friends told us that taking the “hard 16 ” to Beijing would be really terrible. So we didn’t know what to 17 . But we were 4
pleasantly surprised when we finally boarded the and talked. It was not 20 at all.
18 , which was relatively modern and
19 . During the 14-hour ride we ate peanuts 21 . 23 28 30
It was morning when we arrived. We stepped out of the railway station, having sat in hard seats and not getting much However, we had energy. First we tired to get return tickets to Shanghai, but the ticket seller for another two days. We were a little worried about getting After fighting our way 26 cost us thirty yuan to get 29 24 , but we made up our minds to 27 the “gypsy” taxi drivers that tried to 22 us that tickets would not be on 25
for the hotel to put our bags down.
us one hundred yuan for the ride, we found a taxi and it
we had planned to go. When we reached the hotel, there was a window for airplane and train tickets. 31 . The most important lesson about China I ever 33 . We were not able to get tickets, but the 34
the man behind the counter could get tickets that day, which we someone to do your work for you, and it seems to work out much could.
32 , is to get agents (代理)
While in Beijing we saw a lot of places of interest, most of which were very place. There isn’t any word to describe it. 16. A. chair 17. A. provide 18. A. plane 19. A. quick 20. A. bad 21. A. trouble 22. A. promised 23. A. time 24. A. behind 25. A. start 26. A. towards 27. A. offer 28. A. even 29. A. what 30. A. Somehow 31. A. wouldn’t 32. A. learned 33. A. harder 34. A. business 35. A. boring 三、阅读理解 B. bed B. expect B. bus B. clean B. good B. food B. informed B. show B. out B. ask B. into B. charge B. still B. which B. However B. couldn’t B. taught B. earlier B. transport B. crowded C. seat C. happen C. ship C. simple C. easy C. sleep C. advised C. duty C. through C. take C. across C. bargain C. also C. where C. Therefore C. shouldn’t C. offered C. later C. travel C. famous
35 . It was fun to be with thousands of people in one D. bench D. think D. train D. long D. well D. help D. persuaded D. sale D. back D. pay D. past D. share D. only D. how D. Otherwise D. needn’t D. heard D. easier D. hotel D. noisy
I am a good mother to three children. I have tried never to let my profession stand in the way of being a good parent. I no longer consider myself as the center of the universe. I show up. I listen. I try to laugh. I am a good friend to my husband. I have tried to make marriage vows (誓约) mean what they say. I am a good friend to my friends, and they to me. Without them, there would be nothing to say today. So here is what I want to tell you today: Get a life. A real life, not a desire of the next promotion, the bigger paycheck, the larger house. Get a life in which you are not alone. Find people you love, and who love you. And remember that love is not leisure, it is work. Pick up the phone. Send an e-mail. Write a letter. And I realize that life is the best thing and that you have no business taking it for granted. It is so easy to waste our lives, our days, our hours, and our minutes. It is so easy to exist instead of to live. I learned to live many years age. Something really, really bad happened to me, something that changed my life in ways that, if I had my choice, it would never have been changed at all. And what I learned from it is what, today, seems to be hardest lesson of all. I learned to love the journey, not the destination. I learned to look at all the good in the world and try to give some of it back because I believed in it, completely and totally. And I tried to do that, in part, by telling others what I had learned. 5
By telling them this: Read in the backyard with the sun on your face. Learn to be happy. And think of life as a deadly illness, because if you do, you will live with joy and passion (激情) as it ought to be lived. 36. The best title of this passage probably is A. Love Your Friends B. Live a Real Life . C. Don’t Waste Time D. Be a Good Mother and Wife .
37. By the underlined sentence in the fifth paragraph, the author really means that people tend to A. make a living rather than live a real life C. waste a lot in life 38. What’s the author ’s attitude toward work? A. Do it well to serve others. C. Try your best to get higher position and pay. 39. It can be inferred from the passage that A. the author is successful in personal life 四、书面表达 . B. the author didn’t try her best to work well D. the author doesn ’t like traveling B. Earn enough money to make life better. D. Don ’t let it affect your real like. B. work rather than enjoy life D. forget the most important lesson in life
C. the author spent all her time caring for her children
家用电脑体积小，价格低，造型美观，使用方便、灵活；可用于计算、记事、打电话、打印信件；儿童可用它来学英语、 做游戏。请你通过家用电脑能学会怎样使用微机，为将来找工作提供便利；电脑工作比人快数倍；我们已经得到了电脑的巨大 帮助。 请根据以上内容写一篇介绍家用电脑的说明文。1、短文需包括以上全部内容，但不可逐条翻译； 2、词数：100 词左右。
选修 7 第 2 单元答案
选词填空：1. frightened 5. amused 语法聚焦：1—5 DCCAB 2. frightening 6. amazed 6—10 CBCCB 3. disappeared 4. pleased
单项选择：1—5 BADCA 6—10 ADBDC 11—15 BBCCB 完形填空：16—20 CBDBA 21—25 CBDDA 26—30 DBDCA 31—35 BADCB 阅读理解：36—39 BADA 书面表达： The Family Computer The family computer is small. Its price is not high, and it has a good look. It can be used easily. You can use it to calculate, make notes, call others and type letters, etc. Also, children can learn English or play games with it. Besides, you can use a family computer as a training computer. You can learn how to use an office computer, which will give you convenience to find a good job in a company. Computers can work hundreds of times faster than human beings. We have been greatly helped by computers.