Words preview constant constantly jet previous uncertain guide
adj. 时常发生的; 连续不断的 adv. 不断地 n. 喷气式飞机 adj. 在前的; 早先的 adj. 不确切的; 无把握的 n. 指导; 向导; 导游 vt. 指引; 指导 tablet n. 药片 capsule n. 太空仓; 胶囊 steward n. 乘务员; 服务员
Words preview stewardess opening sideways surrounding tolerate lack adjustment mask
n. 女乘务员 n. 通路; 出口; 开端 adv. 往一侧; 侧着; 侧面朝前 n. 周围的事物; 环境 adj. 周围的 vt. 容忍; 忍受 vi. & vt. 缺乏; 没有 n. 缺乏; 短缺的东西 n. 调整; 调节 n. 面具; 面罩; 伪装
Words preview carriage n. 四轮马车; 客车 press vi. & vt. 按; 压; 逼迫 n. 按; 压; 印刷; 新闻 fasten vt. 系牢; 扎牢 belt n. 腰带; 皮带 safety belt 安全带 flash vt. & vi. (使)闪光; (使)闪现 switch n. 开关 vt. 转换 timetable n. 时间表; 时刻表
Expressions preview take up be back on one’s feet lose sight of… sweep up slide into
拿起; 接受; 开始 恢复; 完全复原 看不见…… 打扫; 横扫 移动…… 溜进……
Skimming to get general ideas
Reading Comprehension I The prize Li Qiang won last year was ___. A. a large bright, clean room B. a time capsule C. the money for a future tour D. to experience the life in the future
Reading Comprehension II Read the text quickly, then put the following sentences into the correct order. a. We were transported into the future by a comfortable time capsule. b. I arrived at Wang Ping’s home and everything in his house made me surprised. c. I won a travel to the year AD 3008. d. I had my first try to master a hovering carriage. c a b d
Careful reading to solve difficult points
1. take up
(1) to accept an offer or challenge that someone has made 接受(建议或挑战)
Are you going to take up the challenge of lasting a whole week without arguing? 坚持一周内不争吵, 你打算接受这一 挑战吗？
(2) to become interested in a particular activity or subject 对……开始喜欢 Glenn has taken up pottery. 格伦已经开始喜欢陶艺。 (3) to start a new job or have a new responsibility 开始从事……开始承担 She took up her first teaching post in 1950. 1950年她走上第一个教学岗位。
2. tolerate v. 忍受; 容忍; 容许; 宽恕 He could not tolerate the extremes of heat in the desert. 他受不了沙漠的酷热。 I can't tolerate your bad manners any longer. 我再也不能容忍你无礼的行为。
3. lose sight of
(1)看不见 It was so dark he lost sight of him at once. I’ve lost sight of Smith. (2)忘记; 忽略 No matter how rich and famous he became, he never lost sight of the fact that he had been born in the slums.
catch sight of 望见; 看到 in sight 在视线内 out of sight 看不见了 set one’s sights (on) 为求; 志在…… take sight 瞄准 within sight of 已能看到; ……在望
Write down the main idea for each paragraph in your own words. Then add the important details. Paragraph 1 - main idea:How I came to take a time travel journey. details: my prize; my excitement
Paragraph 2 - main idea: The journey details: how I felt; the spaceship; the journey
Paragraph 3 - main idea:My impressions of life one thousand years into the future details: little oxygen; masks to provide oxygen; hovering carriage; how to drive them; a “time lag” moment Paragraph 4 - main idea:Staying in Wang Ping’s home details: appearance of house; trees as walls; where furniture stored; ate meal; prepared for sleep
Scanning to get detail information
Reading Comprehension III 1. Why was Li Qiang unsettled for the first few days? A. Because he was uncertain about what might happen during the future tour. B. Because he became so excited whenever he thought of the future tour. C. Because he couldn’t wait to make the future tour. D. Because he hadn’t decided whether to take the risk of experiencing the future tour.
2. Which of the following statements is not true? A. Li Qiang got a headache because of lack of fresh air. B. It took Li Qiang only a short time to arrive in the future. C. It seemed very difficult for Li Qiang to learn to drive a hovering carriage. D. There was more oxygen inside Wang Ping’s home than outside.
3. How did Li Qiang get to the year 3008?
A. By airplane. B. By rocket. C. In a time capsule. D. In a spaceship. 4. From the text we can see that ____. A. there will not be enough food B. there will be less oxygen C. there will be traffic jams
D. living space will be too limited
Reading Comprehension IV
Answer the following questions. 1 Why did Li Qiang go into the future? 2 How did he feel when he left his own time? 3 What did he notice first when he arrived in AD 3008? 4 What else did he find that was different?
1 Why did Li Qiang go into the future? Li Qiang went into the future because he had won a prize that gave him a tour.
2 How did he feel when he left his own time? He felt rather anxious when he left his own time but soon got it over.
3 What did he notice first when he arrived in AD 3008? The first thing he noticed was the poor quality of the air and it gave him a headache.
4 What else did he find that was different? He found several things that were different: 1) a mask to give him enough oxygen
2) a hovering carriage 3) having a “time lag” experience 4) a strange-looking house that belonged to Wang Ping’s parents 5) trees that acted as walls and provided oxygen for the room 6) tables, chairs and a bed that were stored under the floor
The reading passage describes some good and bad changes to life in AD 3008. In pairs, discuss which changes are good or bad and give reasons for your choices. Then write down your ideas in the chart. There is no right or wrong answer.
Good changes Bad changes Time travel Transport Houses Towns
can travel to Time different times travel as you wish
after-effects of travel
disorganized; Tran- can move swiftly difficult to find sport way Houses save living space short of space
Good changes Bad changes Towns Air busy; look like markets own family poor quality in easy to get lost
quality oxygen supply public places
What’s the writer’s attitude towards the future, optimistic or pessimistic? How do you know?
For example: Pessimistic We know that from the following sentences: 1. Worried about the journey, I was unsettled for the first few days. 2. Confused by the new surroundings, I was hit by the lack of the fresh air. 3. Exhausted, I slid into bed and fell fast asleep.
What should we do to make sure we will have a bright future? We should try to learn to accept changes and appreciate what is new and different. And we should learn more knowledge to fit in with the needs of the society．
1. Can you explain the meaning of e-learning? “E-learning” means to learn on the Internet. That is to say, we can study by watching educators on TV or on a computer screen, whenever we have time and wherever we are．
2. How will people shop in the future?
People can do online shopping (on the Internet) and they can go to a pleasant
mall using smart cards． smart mall cards E-commerce
3. Why is e-commerce becoming more and more popular? People discover the advantages of online shopping . The Internet also makes it easier
for companies to keep in touch with
customers and companies in other
4. How will people travel in the future?
We'll travel by car／taxi／bus ／train cleaner
that burns new fuels and uses new faster engines that will let us travel without worrying about whether we aresafer
polluting the environment. well-developed maglev train
5. What will schools be like in the future? In the future, there may be more“ schools on the air ” and “e-schools”. We can study at home by watching educators on TV or on a computer screen. Instead of being
students only when we are young, we’ll
become life-long learners.
6. What will the future be like in general? In general, the future will be brighter and ourexamine life will be more convenient …to some of the major ． If we learn to accept change and trends in contemporary society. appreciate what is new and different, we will be well-prepared for whatever the future may have in store.
Quiz I Retell the text by filling the following blanks. Li Qiang felt _________ and ________ at first, as a result he suffered from _________. Li Qiang was transported safely into the future in a ____________. ________ by the new surroundings, Li Qiang was hit by the lack of__________ and his______ ached. Wang Ping gave Li Qiang a______ to put on.
Arriving home Li Qiang was shown into
a large bright, clean room with a ______
wall, a ______ floor and soft lighting.
__________, he slid into bed and fell ____
Answer Li Qiang felt _________ worried and ________ unsettled at first, as a result he suffered from _________. time lag Li Qiang was transported safely into the future in a ____________. time capsule ________ by the new surroundings, Li Confused Qiang was hit by the lack of__________ fresh air and his______ head ached. Wang Ping gave Li Qiang a______ mask to put on.
Arriving home Li Qiang was shown into a large bright, clean room with a green wall, a ______ ______ brown floor and soft lighting. __________, he slid into bed and fell ____ Exhausted asleep. fast
Quiz II Translation
about the journey (担心这次旅 1. Worried _______________________ 行), I was unsettled for the first few days. 2. Hit _____________________ by a lack of fresh air (由于缺乏新鲜 空气), my head ached. 3. Just relax, since there _____________________ is nothing planned ______________( on the timetable 没有任何出行计划) today. 4. Exhausted _________ (累坏了), I slid into bed and fell fast asleep.
1. Review the key sentences in the text. 2. Write a passage about future life in about 150 words.