Module 6： Reading Practice
Lead in questions Where are the people? What are they doing?
Read two pieces of news.
Chinese poems on the London Underground 中国诗歌进入伦敦地铁( 2006 - 2 - 6 ) CRI Exclusive(独家新闻)by Li Rui - Chinese poems are set to decorate London's Underground soon.
"A good rain knows its proper time, it waits until the Spring to fall. It drifts in on the wind, steals in by night, its fine drops drench, yet make no sound at all."
The well-known poem, written by the "poet sage(圣人) " Du Fu, is one of the famous poems that will land in London. Other poems from Li Bai and Bai Juyi will also soon be enjoyed by the British public.
Poetry goes underground 英国诗歌走进上海地铁 THIS month saw the start of a cross-cultural programme bringing Britain and China closer together. -----The Shanghai metro (地铁) will display poems by four British poets in a groundbreaking cultural exchange between the world's two most popular languages and its oldest and newest subway networks. As part of the deal, the London underground is displaying lines in English from some of China's great wordsmiths: Li Bai, Du Fu and Bai Juyi.
(2006-04-24 from 21st Century Teens Senior Edition Issue No.222)
Chinese poems on the underground in London
Chinese poems on the London underground
English poems on the underground in Shanghai
English poems on the underground in Shanghai
Choose the sentences which best explains what title means.
c Poems on the Underground _______.
a. was an attempt to prove that Britain was a nation of poetry lovers by placing poems in the Underground instead of advertisements. b. is a way of using poems as advertisements for the London Underground. c. is a project to fill blank advertising space in London Underground trains with poems. d. Is a way of making poetry relevant travellers on the London Underground.
Match each paragraph with its main idea
?What poems were chosen ?How the idea of Poems on the Underground was put forward ?The popularity and the improvement of the project. ?When and how the Poems on the Underground was officially launched
Decide which of these statements expresses the writer’s a Opinions.__________ a. The writer thinks Poems on the Underground has been very successful, and is a good way to read poetry cheaply all over London. b. The writer finds that trying to learn Poems on the Underground adds to their meaning and these enjoyment.
c. The writer believes that poems change the atmosphere in the carriages on the London Underground.
d. The writer believe that Poems on the Underground encourages people to write their own poetry.
Write short answers to the questions.
1. What does the passage tell you about life for commuters in London?
It has been improved by the scheme.
2. What does the passage suggest about London Underground's attitude to Poems on the Underground?
It is positive.
1.The poets and other guests at the official opening of the scheme read the poems displayed on the train by various writers, including themselves. 2. It was fun to read Keats’ poem about traveling in the classical world, whilst being in a crowded tube in London. 3. The scheme was so successful that London Transport offered to take over all the costs of continuing it itself.
4. Reading poems on the underground is a very cheap way to enjoy poetry in London.
1.The poets and other guests at the official opening of the scheme read the poems displayed on the train by various writers, including themselves.
The carriages were merry with a chorus of voices reading verse by Shelly, Burns, Keats and by the commuters themselves.
2. It was fun to read Keats’ poem about traveling in the classical world, whilst being in a crowded tube in London. Commuters enjoyed the idea of reading Keat’s Much Have I travelled in the realms of gold on a crowded Central Line train. 3. The scheme was so successful that London Transport offered to take over all the costs of continuing it itself. In January 1989,(…) London Underground promised to donate all spaces free, to increase the number available(…), and to pay for the production costs as well. 4. Reading poems on the underground is a very cheap way to enjoy poetry in London. …the vest way to view the poem is to see them yourself, on Whichever train you choose, in every zone of the network— for the price of an underground ticket.
1. Some years ago, a few acquaintances who lived and worked in London, who used the Tube and loved poetry, decided that it would be pleasant to read a few lines by their favorite poets as they travelled around by Tube, instead of just glancing upwards at the tiresome advertisements. 2. They suggested filling the blank spaces with poems, for the entertainment of the traveling public. 3. London Underground approved of the idea, and once sponsors had been found to pay the expenses for half the spaces, they agreed to pay for the other half.
4. Many of those who left the morning daylight and the damp streets above, and descended through the ticket barriers to the shabby old Underground platform saw the usual signs — TICHETS--- — assume a special literary significance. 5. There was coffee, doughnuts, and wine too, served on the benches where they would usually sit and wait. 6. When the train with a preview of the first poems arrived, everyone got on and within minutes of its departure, the carriages were merry with a chorus of voices reading verse by Shelley, Burns and of course, by themselves.
7. It catered for all tastes and included living and dead poems from the homeland and from all over the English-speaking world, and especially poems which have associations with London. 8. Posters of the poems decorate the British Council libraries throughout the world, but the best way to view the poems is to see them yourself, on whichever train you choose, in every zone of the network — for the price of an underground ticket.
Find out the following phrases：
1).对…上瘾,热衷 be addicted to 2). 对---的吸引 the appeal of 3). 赞成某事 approve of sth. 4) 瞥见, 扫视，浏览 glance at 5). 异口同声地 a chorus of voices 6). 焕然一新 take on a new life 7）背诵，记住 learn by heart 8). 满足/迎合…的需求 cater for 9). 和…有关联 have associations with… 10). 在第三个周年纪念 on the third anniversary 11）每隔几个月 every few months
?Think of something other than poems which might have a similar effect and write a short passage about it.